Phinney-Walker Car Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by chaplin37, May 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. chaplin37

chaplin37 Registered User

Dec 29, 2011
    Hi everyone, I have yet to receive one of these clocks on my desk, but today is the day that i did. My question is on how to remove the mainspring from the barrel or even how to remove the barrel from the plate. I have to admit that I haven't given a really hard try at this, but would like to hear from anyone who has worked on one of these before. I have used a spanner tool to let down the mainspring, so that is not a problem. Thanks 1.jpg 2.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 3.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like those three screws are the secret to removing the barrel, but I don't see how to get at them.

3. chaplin37

chaplin37 Registered User

Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks, but the three screws do get you to the barrel, the picture of me holding the mainspring was after I removed the three screws. I just dont know how to get the mainspring out of the barrel

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe the arbor can be tapped out to expose the spring. Then show us a pic of the spring and the arbor. You might have to remove it by hand ... but not sure yet.