Philipp Haas & Sohne wall box clock (westminister)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Orlando, Jun 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Orlando

Orlando Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently acquired this wall box clock. Based on the movement and gong markings I'd say it's a PHS. Would anyone have a clue as to its age? I'm also curious as to why all of its mainspring were designed as they are, it seems like added material with no obvious additional function over a single click. Any additional thoughts or things to look out for before disassembling and cleaning? Thank you.

20200629_124805.jpg 20200629_121124.jpg 20200629_121108.jpg 20200629_121048.jpg 20200629_120346.jpg 20200629_120328.jpg 20200629_120308.jpg 20200629_121014.jpg

2. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd guess 1900-1915, when movements like these used mainspring sub-plates - I believe these were used because a lot of these early chime movements did not self correct, which means that it was more important to have leftover power for the chime train to run with before the time mainspring ran out and caused the chimes to get out of synchronization.

The geared winding arbors are primarily there to keep the winding holes on the face close together and prevent the winding holes from interfering with the numerals on the face.This is especially important on a clock like this, where the winding holes would look very lopsided if there was no winding gear system. An added benefit to some of these geared winding arbors is that depending on the gearing ratio, some can give you extra leverage against the strong mainsprings (especially the chime mainspring).

Hope this helps.

3. Orlando

Orlando Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Isaac,

Thank you. That makes complete sense. I can also imagine it helped in the design of the movement in that the springs location wasn't a driving factor in the overall movement layout.

I also agree the gearing makes winding much easie .

I'm looking for the challenge of getting the one back to working order

4. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, these earlier development movements sometimes lack the easy adjustments that the more refined and newer chime movements had (such as a friction fit/set screw chime locking cam, where I see yours is in between the plates), so it will be a tad bit more of a challenge getting things back together than usual. You'll find, however, that the removable front sub-plate will make reassembly much easier since you don't have the large mainspring barrels in the way (and you can install them after everything's all together)

Of course, if you run into any issues during reassembly, let us know.