Philip T. Priestley

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by gmorse, Mar 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was very sorry to learn from the latest Tom Wilcox newsletter that Philip had died on March 8th. His contribution to our knowledge in several areas through his research and publications was enormous, most prominently in his work on the English watch case makers.

Regards,

Graham

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Graham, thanks for posting. Philip will be sorely missed throughout the horological community, my sincere condolences to Jean and the family.

3. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I guess Philip's book on English casemakers is referred to on this board more often than all other horological books added together. That is his fine legacy.

I happened to meet Philip a few times, and he was also the epitome of an English gentleman - quietly spoken and courteous, and always willing to share his knowledge ... and to learn something new.

4. Literustyfan

Literustyfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 22, 2010
    LRF Antique Watches, Watchmaker, Author
    Spring, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just read of Phillip's passing in the Bulletin, very sad. I spoke with Phillip at many NAWCC shows over the years and a couple of times on the phone and emails. His book on Dennison was a game changer for the trench watch community. Thanks to his very solid research we now know what the numerical codes (not hallmarks) mean on the inside of Dennison trench watch cases. His review of my Waltham Trench Watch book featuring many Dennison cases was very kind. Phillip always had a kind word and a smile when we would see each other, he will be missed. Godspeed Phillip! Rest in peace my friend!