American Philco 570 Grandfather Clock Radio

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Sno-twister, Oct 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sno-twister

Sno-twister New Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello, new to the forum.

I recently acquired a 1931 Philco 570 Grandfather Clock Radio. The clock and radio as well as the case are in fair to good condition, but are in need of restoration. The radio I can do as I have restored a few so far. The clock is another matter. The individual I bought this from said the clock did not work. I want to keep the original time piece if at all possible. There is no markings on the case for the clock other than "start" and "handset". No manufacturer label at all. A search of this forum found a few similar clocks but all were slightly different. I have included a few images. The spin start knob is missing but the gear is in tact. The clock works are very dirty. The coil measures at 760 ohms. I have not applied any power to it as of yet until I am more familiar with it.

20190929_171444.jpg clock5.png clock6.png clock1.png clock2.png

2. Dan_in_WA

Dan_in_WA Registered User

Dec 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Have you been able to locate the information you’re looking for, by doing a search of the Philco model number?

I’m new here too, and don’t want to break the rules about re-direct links so if this response is vague that’s why.

I’ll send you a PM.

3. Sno-twister

Sno-twister New Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    There does not appear to be a lot of information on the clock works alone. I sent you a PM as well. My sister showed the photos to an Amish clock repair man and he was quite interested in it, but also had no information on the clock. The local clock horologist has been unavailable for some time due to personal issues, so it sits and waits. But that's OK, I'm in no hurry I have the radio and case to restore first.

4. captainclock

captainclock Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the Movement on that radio was made by Hammond Instrument Co. of Chicago Ill. (yes the very same Hammond that made the now famous and valuable Hammond Organs).

The movement is what's called a Synchronous Clock Movement, meaning that the clock movement needs to be started by hand rather than being a self-starting clock movement (the reason for that is because Telechron held the patents for the self-starting electric clock movement and Hammond didn't want to pay royalties to use Telechron's Self-Starting Clock Movement so they used the Synchronous Clock Movement instead).

Usually these old Hammond Clock Movements are bullet proof and can still run just fine without much maintenance (just drop a few drops of light machine oil into the mechanism and it will be fine for another 80 years).

I have owned several Hammond Electric Clocks over the years and I've only had to rebuild one of them using another Hammond Clock Movement for parts, and the only reason why I had to rebuild the movement was because the Phenolic drive gear for the start knob was broken on the mechanism so I bought a Hammond Clock that had the same type of movement in it as the clock that needed rebuilding and took the parts clock movement apart, got the phenolic gear out of it and installed it in the movement that needed rebuilt and it works as good as new now.

They are actually a very simple Movement to overhaul as there isn't much to them, in fact I might have a spare start knob that I could send you for your clock for the price of shipping if you are interested (and as long as I didn't accidentally throw it out when I disposed of the un-needed parts.)

Also Check out The PHILCO Phorum , its the official Philco collectors/restorers website and they deal in all things Philco related, they will more than likely have all the information you need to know about your radio and its clock mechanism, including its original owners manual and service manual as well.

Hope this helps,

Levi

5. Sno-twister

Sno-twister New Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Levi,
    Sorry for the late reply, but were in the middle of a major remodel project and haven't been keeping up on the various forums I subscribe to. I belong to the Philco Porum as well as Antique Radio Forum. There is a wealth of information on both regarding the radio but not the clock works itself. My spin start knob is missing and a member on the Philco Porum was kind enough to send me one, but my shaft size was smaller in diameter. The clock / radio project is on hold until at least the fall when I have some spare time. Right now its hidden in the spare bedroom and getting to it is near impossible. Once my shop area returns I will have more room to work on such. Thanks again for the information.

6. Dan_in_WA

Dan_in_WA Registered User

Dec 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Sno-twister, just out of curiosity what is your screen name over there? I’m on those as well, same name.