Philadelphia Watch Co.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Quasr, Aug 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Quasr

Quasr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Greetings all. I'm new to this MB and was hoping someone might recognize this model pocket watch and be able to provide a little more information on it. The NAWCC site has been a great resource of information regarding the Philadelphia Watch Company but I have found nothing here or elsewhere regarding this model.

I greatly appreciate your time and trouble!

IMG_5086.jpg IMG_5087.jpg IMG_5090.jpg IMG_5096.jpg IMG_5099.jpg IMG_5100.jpg IMG_5106.jpg IMG_5110.jpg

Keith R..., John Cote and viclip like this.
  2. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    It might help if you count the number of jewels. With that info and given that it is a damaskeened nickel mvt it might be possible to provide some period price and/or grade info.

3. Quasr

Quasr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I counted a total of 5 red jewels. Four are easily seen in the photo of the movement and the fifth being the center post with larger open gear attached. Hope this helps and I appreciate your input.

4. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Philadelphia Watch Company. Eugene Pauls

Some info on your watch .. an very old thread but has good info about maker ..Your Case is 18k and the movement appears in good condition.... nice watch ...

5. Quasr

Quasr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks very much for your time. The NAWCC is a wealth of information on the Philadelphia Watch Co. I read elsewhere the movements were Swiss made but I was not sure. As you said, the case is solid 18k gold, making the watch very heavy and I have not seen another like it. Another website indicates the PWC was only in business for 18 years and produced about 12k watches during that time. I believe the Treasurer absconded with some funds at one point prior to the company being sold to Keystone Watch Makers.

6. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Since the movement is Swiss maybe there will be better identification
    of the movement itself in the European section of the forum.

Rob

7. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Keith R..., Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    It's an American watch with Swiss parts, kinda like Tremont in 1865. It's an American
    watch with 16 Jewels and nickel plates. Unlike reported earlier, they began as key winds
    in 1868, manufactured by The International Watch Co. for the Philadelphia Watch Co.

You're welcome here on the European side. Your cuvett is a glass back display to view
    jewels. Your case is American by the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. (P.W.C.o) like mine
    shown below. There is a 16J version, as I look at your plates.

Shown below is a 19J version.

Keith R...

103_0782 (800x600).jpg 103_0787 (800x600).jpg 103_0792 (800x600).jpg Philly 034 (800x600) (2).jpg philly4 (800x600).jpg

viclip likes this.
  8. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keith, would you have a listing that shows that this symbol P.W. Co. Is attributed to the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. ?

9. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John/Keith - I did a quick search for trade marks and I couldn't find any listing for P.W.Co.

There is a list of marks for the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. on the Pocket Watch Database site here.

None of these match, however, the site records that they sold out to Keystone Watch Case Co. in 1903. Attributed to the latter on the same site ..

upload_2019-8-14_20-36-1.png

Not an exact match - but as it must reflect their purchase. From this I would infer that the case company would have used P.W.C.Co.

Elsewhere there is description of a watch signed Philadelphia Watch Company watch ...

Pretty watch case. However. I don't think you can connect the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. to the watch maker of this watch. The Philadelphia Watch Co.

Is it possible that, like some English watches, the watch maker/ retailer, stamped the case with his initials, i.e. does P.W.Co = Philadelphia Watch Company?

John

Keith R... likes this.
  10. Quasr

Quasr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am very grateful for the above information in regards to the watch. We all come from different walks of life and the outpouring of knowledge is overwhelming. I will continue to peruse this site for more and will make sure I include the European watch threads as well.

Kind regards...

Keith R... likes this.
  11. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 Keith R..., Aug 14, 2019
    Mine...................KR...

Thanks..........movement SN# 1xxx, Circa 1868.

Philly 039 (800x600).jpg

viclip likes this.
  12. Quasr

Quasr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Wow! A four digit serial number and key wound to boot. This is certainly an early one and is a real beauty! Thanks for the shot.

Keith R... likes this.
  13. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A dozen or so of these Paulus movements go by on ebay every year, usually for hefty prices if they're in good condition.

Jess Tauber

Keith R... likes this.
  14. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Quasar...that is one mighty fine example. What a beauty!

15. Quasr

Quasr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you kindly, Sir. The one I see in your profile is a beauty as well. Nothing like solid 18k. Mine weighs in at 142 grams.

16. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 Keith R..., Aug 14, 2019
    Most of he original gold hunters have been scrapped. We mostly see silver hunters
    and very few of them. Hang on to it.

Keith R...

17. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a private label 19 jewel example with nickle plates housed in an 18 Kt gold case.

PHILADELPHIA KW.KS 19J HC EBU 16292 SN 5,934 Cuvette.jpg PHILADELPHIA KW.KS 19J HC EBU 16292 SN 5,934 Dial.jpg PHILADELPHIA KW.KS 19J HC EBU 16292 SN 5,934 Front Cover.jpg PHILADELPHIA KW.KS 19J HC EBU 16292 SN 5,934 Inside Front Cover.jpg PHILADELPHIA KW.KS 19J HC EBU 16292 SN 5,934 Mvt.jpg

18. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a sweet and complete Philadelphia Watch Co. example. I have a nice movement example that has a nickel finish, and has a serial number in the 6000 range. While it's sad that it has no case, the movement itself is very beautiful. The PWCo nickel plates sparkle like few others. They are very high quality movements. I think it "pops" more than my 72 model Am'n, which are pretty nice. It would be blinding under show halogens.
    Regardless of who actually made these watches (ongoing debate), they are quite exquisite, IMHO. I'm a big fan. Anyone who has one in nice original case is very fortunate. Congratulations to those who do.
    FWIW, my movement is also a 16/17J (I don't remember if the pillar plate was jeweled at the center.), and is KW/LS, as the OP's is.

Keith R... likes this.