Phenolic WWII Navy Clock Case

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by wbranko, Feb 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a phenolic black wwii Navy clock case with an unusual (to me) problem. I will post a couple of photos here. The case is phenolic plastic. However, it has a "rash" that looks like rust. In spots, this looks like it may penetrate the surface, and may be a brown phenolic material? It will not polish away with either Glayzit or Novus #2. Any suggestions as to how to remove this? Or is a coat of black paint in order? If so, lacquer or enamel? Thanks!!

20180221_103725.jpg 20180221_103757.jpg 20180221_103819.jpg

2. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Wbranko,

Phenolic is a thermoset plastic. Dry powder is mixed with a colorant and sometimes a filler and poured into a mold. Heat and pressure are applied and the material crosslinks in the mold. Once the polymer is crosslinked it takes its form permanently. Shredded rag was used as a filler for phenolic resins as carbon black was used as a colorant.

What you are looking at in your case are areas where the rag was pressed against the mold wall. No amount of polishing is going to change that look. You could paint over it but it is what it is, why hide it?

Regards,

D~

3. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    D, Thanks...that answers my question! Now I'll decide what to do. Probably will clean polish, and put the clock back in after it gets serviced!

Regards!!!

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This might sound a bit crazy...
    But, would black shoe polish be an option?

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I find the look quite attractive. Looks like granite too me.

Uhralt