Petermann Pinon and Gear Cutting Machine

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by jnash, Jan 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jnash

jnash Registered User

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi guys, have picked up the following items. looking at lathes.co.uk i believe its a automatic pinion and gear cutter from petermanns

I am looking for a manual, that may have a parts list. i would like to see what is exactly missing and how it all works as iv'e seen some versions online but there are differences.

I would love to get this working again , it's very impressive

I have a fuller machine and another machine that looks like its missing a lot as backup along with a hand wheel.

Any help will be appreciated , there are a few bits online , bit nothing with parts , instructions or ideally servicing guide

Thanks in advance.

J

IMG_20190104_162000.jpg IMG_20190104_093515.jpg IMG_20190104_161957.jpg IMG_20190104_093512.jpg IMG_20190104_161951.jpg IMG_20190104_161938.jpg IMG_20190104_162007.jpg IMG_20190104_162003.jpg

2. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    Depending on where you are based and what your linguistic capabilities are, I would contact these museums in Germany and Switzerland respectively, as they have such or similar machines operating:

Home

Ville de La Chaux-de-Fonds

3. GBOflyer

GBOflyer Registered User

Jan 25, 2019
    Male
    East Sussex. UK
    Country Flag:
    Hi J
    I've just joined the NAWCC forum site after seeing you post about the Petermann pinion machines you have just acquired. I own the machine pictured on the Lathe.co.uk site which show before and after restoration. I know of another couple of machines here in the UK and might be able to help with info but alas I don't have a manual.
    Regards Clive

4. jnash

jnash Registered User

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi Clive

Sorry about the late reply, i never sawt the message.. i started restoring it but gave up.. i have more or less two if you need parts.

5. GBOflyer

GBOflyer Registered User

Jan 25, 2019
    Male
    East Sussex. UK
    Country Flag:
    Hi J

If you were thinking of selling the machine I would be interested. I'm in Sussex near Hastings. Rough where are you in the UK.

Regards Clive

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    please remember to use the 'private message' function to move personal transactions out of public threads?

no big, thx... and i have machine envy! :cool:

7. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    While these are wonderful machines, their sole purpose is to make thousands or tens of thousands of a single size pinion. Making just a few, or several different sizes? I think you will find them very difficult to use for anything less than full production. I have owned two of these and two somewhat different models. I never made a pinion on any of them. Too hard to set up, requires specialized cutters, and so forth. As machines, I loved them. As practical machines for making parts I needed, not so much.

8. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i'm sorry... what does 'practicality' have to do with anything we do here? o_O

etmb61 and Jim DuBois like this.