Peter Desmarais London jumping- and quarter seconds etc.....

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
I can see why you like that one Peter, Loomes only lists two Desmares -- Versailles (France) 1738-1750. Desmarais Peter London 1794-early 19th century. I will look around for more tomorrow.

Allan.

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
This watch has a secret code to open it, just like a combination lock on a Safe. You use the hand at 4 á clock!
I only know of one more watch with this special function.

Best rgds
Peter

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region

Peter, I found the above, and Nicholas Demarais apparently worked with all the big names in French clockmaking in the early 1700s.

You will find small titbits on pages 23, and 175. I don´t think he could be the father, he was too early for Peter. Still looking.

I love that watch.

Allan.

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
Thanks Allan!

In David Thompson great book "Watches" there is a similar pocket watch illustrated, The picture under the dial shows the construction of the lock....

Rgds
Peter B

P1140150.JPG P1140153.JPG

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
The tip you have given me Peter turns this story upside down. The question now is who made this watch. The one in the British Museum and pictured in David Thomson´s book Watches at the BM. Gives the date of 1772, the case being made by Laura Aveline. So just for once, I started with Laura, in Loomes we have on page 29, Aveline, Daniel. London a.1723, CC1731-d. 1771. From this, I think Laura was his wife and she was able to finish this remarkable case. You will see she registered at Goldsmiths Hall on 12 October 1772 L.A.(The watch though is hallmarked London, 1778) She is recorded at Denmark Street, St Giles. (Priestley Soho) I also looked in Dennis Moore´s book for Aveline and there are six entries for a Master Clockmaker having six apprentices from 1732 to 1761, but can not be sure it´s our man, there is no mention of case-making. Martin was at 7, Royal Exchange, London till 1784.

So what I Have done is to put the two pages from Davids book on here so all members can see what he had to say. I also hope I am not breaking any rules. (He who seeks and searches for the found, is blind)

Will keep at it, more later.

Allan.

PS: Pity this watch had no dust cap.

PPS: with compliments of David Penney´s Archive.

ww-3.JPG

ww-2.JPG

Last edited:

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
Thanks Allan,

The Martin and Desmaris Pocket watches are the only two I know of with the lock mechanism, but there is perhaps more examples known?

The inscription "Fecit" on Desmaris pocket watch and not on Martins perhaps means something...

It would bee interesting to study more examples..

Best rgds

Peter

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Peter, a footnote on the patent on the Desmaris watch. If he did have a patent it was not applied for, or recorded in the UK.

Regards,

Allan

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Hi Chris,

ww-6.png This is on page 122 in David Thompson´s book at the BM. A totally different story, but as before the engraving is superb.

Allan.

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
Hi Peter,

It's just Latin for 'made', often seen as 'me fecit', ('made me'), and more common in earlier pieces.

Regards,

Graham
Dear Graham,

I forget to write the complete text reg. the silver case signed Desmarais is: "In venit et Fecit". Not only Fecit...

Could " In venit" mean invented...?

Best rgds
Peter B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmvalente
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre