Perton lathe info

Shawn Blake

Sep 20, 2010
Does anybody know anything about perton lathes.are they 8mm lathes?Does the bevel on the bedway continue the entire length of the bedway?I am looking at one on e-bay but can find no info on this machine not even on lathes.com.uk and this website is the most complete list of lathes that I know of.Any info will be greatly appreciated.Thank you....Shawn Blake

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
I have a Perton. It uses 8MM collets. The edges of the bed are the same from one end to the other. Not much info on them..

If you need pics or further info just ask..

watchmakersid

Jan 26, 2021
Country
I have a Perton. It uses 8MM collets. The edges of the bed are the same from one end to the other. Not much info on them..

If you need pics or further info just ask..
Hi moe1942,

I am looking for more information about if Sherline WW metric collets will fit Perton or Webster Whitcomb lathe having thread size 0.268 - 0.625 mm(Please see attached collet size chart and Sherline collet information pdf)

I looked every where but could not find this information.

I am a newbie with respect to watchmaker lathes and contemplating on buying either Perton WW 8 mm or a American Watch Tool Co's Webster Whitcomb lathe.

Since there are no collets included with these lathes, I am looking for Sherline WW collets.

Sherline collets have thread size 0.275-40.

Any help with collet fittings with these lathes will be of immense help and would enable me to start my watchmaking journey.

Thanks and best regards,
Sid.

img0.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
The diameter of the thread is less critical than the pitch. On most 8 mm lathes the pitch seems to be 40 TPI or 0.635 mm. The thread angle seems to be 55°. There seem to now again on the after-sales market taps for various makes, namely L&S and W&J, which are compatible with Sherline. If the Sherline collets don't fit your draw-bar, you could chase it with one of those taps. there is enough 'meat', as the outside diameter is normally a tad under 8 mm.

watchmakersid

Jan 26, 2021
Country
The diameter of the thread is less critical than the pitch. On most 8 mm lathes the pitch seems to be 40 TPI or 0.635 mm. The thread angle seems to be 55°. There seem to now again on the after-sales market taps for various makes, namely L&S and W&J, which are compatible with Sherline. If the Sherline collets don't fit your draw-bar, you could chase it with one of those taps. there is enough 'meat', as the outside diameter is normally a tad under 8 mm.
Hi wefalck,

This is a great piece of information. Thank you very much. This helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stu74111
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff