Perton Lathe Disassembly

NutellaBear

Sep 17, 2005
Region
Does anyone have any insight into how to disassemble a Perton lathe? It is not a ver common lathe but I have seen a couple of members mention that they do own one. I have two issues that I am trying to figure out.

First I am trying to get the shaft out for cleaning. I got the circular retaining collars off at the rear of the shaft but I am not seeing how the drive pulley is retaining its grip on the shaft. The drive pulley does have a hole in it but there is no set screw in it. The shaft appears to have a flat bevel on it that the pulley is keying to and the pulley has a lot of back and forth play in it on the shaft.

The second issue is that I am trying to get the bed to release the pedestal so that I can mount it on an aluminum stand. It also doesn't have an obvious set screw and it doesn't simply unscrew from the bed.

Any help would be appreciated.

/Tim

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Post pictures of what you have. Usually there is a set screw in the headstock pulley. It could be either slotted for a regular screwdriver or needing a hew key (SAE or metric possible, but metric would be expected). Pedestals are usually held by a screw that comes through the bottom of the pedestal into a hole in the bottom of the lathe bed.

cazboy

Apr 27, 2006
Prescott Valley, Arizona
dougsclocks.hpage.com
Country
Region
Hello Tim,
I have a Perton lathe in my collection. There is a sad lack of information regarding this lathe - it's not even mentioned in Tony Griffith's site. Anyway, I tried in earnest to cull any and all information about the lathe and/or the company that made them (Clayton & Rose Mfg. Co. for a short time after WWII). I compiled everything I could find into a single Word document. I am going to send it to you via private message so check your inbox. Anyone else curious about these lathes, send me a PM and I'll send the document to you too. Most of the useful info I got re: disassembly and adjustment I got from a fellow board member named Moe. He lives in Louisiana, I believe.
...Doug

cazboy

Apr 27, 2006
Prescott Valley, Arizona
dougsclocks.hpage.com
Country
Region
Hello Tim, I didn't see a way to attach a Word document in this board's PM system, so I'll just post it here. I should have thought of that in the first place! I hope it helps you a little bit. It sounds as if you need a new set screw for your headstock pulley.
...Doug

Attachments

NutellaBear

Sep 17, 2005
Region
Thanks everyone! I did figure it out in that the set screw was just clogged with gunk I couldn't see the hex hole. Not only was it clogged, it wasn't even tightened down which explains why I got it for a nice price. The last owner couldn't figure it out either and just sold it off. Once I dug the screw hole out the rest was easy. It is in very nice shape but doesn't have the tailstock that came with it. Runs true though so I figure at least I have a nice spare to my Levin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClockWonderer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff