• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

perret & co

john2013

Oct 19, 2013
Can't figure out how to post pictures. Looking for date of an old pocket watch.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Welcome,

You need to have saved pictures of the watch to your computer. Once you have done that, return to this thread an hit the REPLY button. Type your message. Look at the mast head above your opening post in this thread for the icon of the framed picture, and click on the icon. Follow the instructions, and locate the image on your computer and upload it. We need pictures of the face, inside the case back, and the " works". Well lit, well enlarged, well focused, please. Then we'll se what we can do.

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, John :)

Thanks for the photos ... but we are missing the most important one which is of the movement (apart from the tantalising glimpse in your fourth photo).

Perret is a common name in Swiss watchmaking - Pritchard lists nearly 30 variations of individual and company names. The only "Perret & Co, Geneva" entry is the shortest of them all and tells us nothing of any value. So we need to see the movement to see if we can narrow the field.

The unusual numerals on the dial are an encouraging feature, as also is the engraving on the cuvette - these suggest a good quality watch - but the case engraving by contrast looks pretty dull.

The English language in the name and the words "Patent Lever" suggest this watch was made for the American or British market, and the fact that it is a lever escapement might also help in identifying the maker and the date.

john2013

Oct 19, 2013
Please if anyone can give any feedback reguarding the date of the watch I would be very greatfull. I can provide more pictures or whatever data I can to help. I am just looking for some direction on this watch.

Thanks again for any and all help!!! John Griner

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
As far as I can see Perret opened their doors in Geneva in 1893. Maybe they started under a different name earlier than that. The Swiss bar movement is typical of those from the last half of the 19th century, as if I'm not mistaken, the straight bridge over the winding wheels indicate a later generation lepine style. The orientation of the regulator and the adjustment index is one that is found usually on higher grade movements associated with labels such as Tiffany and Vacheron.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.