• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Perret & Co. Locle watch

Eric Preston

May 8, 2018
Country
I inherited this watch from my father who got it from his. I know nothing about it other than what I could find on the interwebs. My dad never mentioned it, and I only found it while dealing with his estate. It's missing the minute hand and as far as I can tell doesn't work, but I'd like to know more about the watch and if it's possible to get it repaired. I live in Madison, Wisconsin and there don't seem to be any watch repair people. Am I correct that it never had a crystal?

PerrotWatch-01.jpg PerrotWatch-02.jpg PerrotWatch-03.jpg PerrotWatch-04.jpg PerrotWatch-05.jpg PerrotWatch-06.jpg PerrotWatch-07.jpg PerrotWatch-08.jpg

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
There is a very similar movement by Louis Audemars on page 209 of Hartmut Zantke’s book. The movement is marked with serial number 32288 although Zantke gives the whole watch a different number (2038). The dial isn't dissimilar either.

Zantke says of the simplicity of movement 32288 that it “is certainly one of the most beautiful movements ever made” and he writes that there are two identical movments in the watch museum in La Chaux de Fonds.
There’s another fairly similar one on Zantke page 222

Yes, it should have a crystal. Don't take it to your friendly neighbourhood repairer. There are folks on this site who can point you in the right direction.

Paul
www.audemars.co.uk

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, Eric

I don't know how you posted those photos, but I can't enlarge them, nor can I download them. I'd like to help you with some information about the case, and I need to look at the inscriptions/marks in photos 1, 2 and 8. Could you reply to this thread and re-post those photos using the "camera" icon in the header?

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Here's some information on the case maker ...

upload_2018-5-8_20-6-21.png

John

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Looks like a solid gold case. Do you realize that the watch is key wound? Excellent quality watch.

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
(Auguste) Perret is in my list of Louis Audemars buyers. The movement serial number 32288 isn’t in my (incomplete) archive but similar numbers have ship-dates around 1880 although according to Zantke the movement type is older and would date to the time when the majority of the Audemars' sales were movements and ebauches to other "makers".
Paul

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.