• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Perret and Co Geneva Questions....

Meralain

Feb 19, 2011
Western Montana
www.henryplumerspeaks.4t.com
Country
Region
I can only say, I wish I had found this forum a long time ago!
Recently, I aquired a Perret and Co size 18 pocket watch--key wind/key set, and I am trying to find out what I can about its history, when it was made et cetera.
I am going to do my best to describe the watch without pictures, as I am having a bit of fun trying to resize to upload..... (Old Old Mac)
The hunter case is nickel, engraved with a naval scene on the back, with ornate flowers and scrolls around the edges. The front scene is worn to the point it is not discernible. Inside the front of the case, it is hallmarked with a "GH" inside of a circle, and a case number 78971. On the dial it is signed at the 12 o'clock "Perret & Co, Geneva" When I open the back, I find a brass inner cover that allows winding and setting that is engraved "Patent Lever 15 Jewels" On the inside of the brass cover is again the case number (matching) and a small "W" under the case number. The movement shows no maker's markings, or serial numbers. Also, I discovered where someone has scratched in a Victorian hand "June 1871" and then also something followed by "1875". There are numerous watchmakers service marks, going up to around 1900 if I am reading correctly.
I will be recruiting some assistance with photos, so hopefully I will be able to post some here shortly.
Thanks!
Sterling

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Welcome,

My copy of Karl Kochmann's European Clock & Watch trade marks lists many Perrets. Many different first names. Many in partnership with other watchmakers. None of the listings appear as having been based in Geneva. No reference is likely to be completely comprehensive, so maybe someone out there has a listing for this maker. If my having read between the lines has been interpreted correctly, there were generations of a family named Perret involved in watchmaking. Determining anything about any one of them is like trying to nail Jello to a wall, unfortunately.

The Perret name pops up frequently on this MB. Using the SEARCH tool, I uncovered a bunch of them. Most if not all might not aid in your quest for information, but it will give you an idea of how complex such a search can be.

https://mb.nawcc.org/search.php?searchid=1284063

Last edited:

Meralain

Feb 19, 2011
Western Montana
www.henryplumerspeaks.4t.com
Country
Region
Thank you for the reply! Before I posted I did search the forum pretty thoroughly, and found what you mentioned. Trying to pin down the Perret name is a little rough.... Lo and behold, even Google failed! Just a shot in the dark really, hoping someone had a resource or knowledge of this brand. As mentioned before, I have a couple photos I am attaching that might help the search along. Also, I pulled the dial--no thanks to the idiot that super glued it on--and found the movement number is the same as the case number. Thanks Again, Sterling 84952.jpg 84953.jpg 84956.jpg

rabbi

Feb 21, 2011
Hello, I am new to this forum as I have spent most of the day trying to identify this watch. I did a search and learned about the company but would like some info on this watch my father brought over from Russia 35 years ago. If there is anyone with insight I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance!
84957.jpg

84958.jpg

84959.jpg

84960.jpg

84961.jpg

84962.jpg

84963.jpg

84964.jpg

84965.jpg

84966.jpg

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
Unlike the earlier watch, this one is marked "Brenets" instead of "Geneve".
Les Brenets is a locality in the high Jura above Le Locle (there's a lake "Lac Brenets" as well).
Don't know if that's helpful but it may narrow the search just a bit.
P

Breezyaz

Jun 7, 2011
I Have a 14K Gold watch tooo that I would like to get some information on.
It says:
K-14 NO. 158500
Geneve, Perret & Fils
Remontoir Patent 94262.jpg 94263.jpg 94266.jpg 94267.jpg 94268.jpg 94269.jpg 94270.jpg 94271.jpg

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
The serial number is a bit interesting. There is a couple of watches with 15**** serial numbers illustrated in a book by a Hartmut Zantke (Germany 2003) which were made by a company "Audemars Freres" who were one of the successor companies to Louis Audemars & Cie.

However I think you are going to have to post some shots of the inside of the watch (the "works") so that the guys on this site can make informed comments.

The 78*** number of the Perret watch posted earlier in this thread also reflects some of the (very few) known Audemars Freres serial numbers. Unfortunately our knowledge of the company is very sparse.

P

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Michael:

Welcome to the NAWCC European & Other Pocket Watches Message Board!

In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in the Encyclopedia article entitled "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,

Michael Larkin

Jan 23, 2012
A, A
Thanks Kent, I've opened the watch now. Inside it reads..
No 39365
perret & fils brenets
balancier compense
spiral breguet
This watch was passed to me by my father.It was my grandfathers watch. I have no history behind this watch as my father died soon after giving it to me. If any one can give me a little history on this piece I would be greatful
thank you
mike

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Mike:

Just as the OP above was told, you'll need to post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the watch case (you can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks), the clearer and sharper, the better. Clearness and sharpness is important as differences in make or grade can be subtle. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates. In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in the Encyclopedia article entitled "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful.

You can test your efforts to post pictures in the Just Practicing and Learning Forum. If you have a problem getting the picture(s) to load, check your file size and make sure that it is less than 500Kb. If it is, it should load to be posted. Too large of a file size is probably the most common problem in trying to upload a picture.

Its also helpful if you can post all the markings that are on the movement (the "works"), especially the movement serial number, in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apaulo11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions