Perpetual watch by Frey

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Mike Kearney, Oct 24, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

This morning Wynter posted the following:

"Digging through some drawers yesterday I found this little oddity.
    http://home.inreach.com/wynter/auto.jpg

I was told it was sold as an add on to make a self-winding wristwatch. Obviously the movement would need to be changed to make it fit the case. In fact I would say this thing probably came with a movement since the weight is marked ?4 adj.?. It?s also marked ?Perpetual watch, Made by Frey?.

Have you ever seen one of these in a watch? Does the add on story sound believable?"

Well, I found the answer in Kathy Pritchard's "Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975", and I got so excited I moved your item over here, Wynter.

It turns out that in the mid 1920's, Frey & Co. of Bienne, developed an automatic watch called the Perpetual. It was an oblong movement with a weight that swings about 10 degrees. Henry Fried described it in the June '89 issue of the AWI's Holorological Times. I don't know if there's a picture of it there or not. Frey is listed in Bestfit #111, but I don't know which (if any) of the movements listed is the calibre used in the Perpetual.

Kathy Pritchard says Frey was still in business as late as 1986, but a quick search on the web didn't turn them up. Keep digging for the rest of that movement!

Regards,
    Mike

2. wynter

wynter Guest

Thanks! I was just getting ready to move the thread.

Wynter

3. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

The movement section in Wynter's pictures above is not an "add-on," but rather, it is just the automatic winding mechanism from what was once a complete movement (and a very interesting one, at that). Almost all automatic movements, even those produced today, have separate self-winding sections which can be removed more-or-less intact from the rest.

Do try to find the rest of this little gem; it's rare, and worth keeping together.

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

4. wynter

wynter Guest

Good morning Steve,

I came to post on this thread the other day and didn?t see it. Then realized my name wasn?t on it. :)

The piece in the scan is the only part I got from the guy years ago. I haven?t tried it but it looks as if one of the common AS movements fits into the opening. I can?t remember which caliber; It?s been a few years since I quit repairing. :)

Wynter

5. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    My favorite watch book
    "Wristwatches, History of a Century's
    Development" by Kahlert,Muhe,Brunner shows the complete watch. The movement doesn't resemble many common movements: it's somewhat
    of a large baguette or Movado style rectangular.
    http://home.pacbell.net/hedgehog/perp.gif

6. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

There's also a picture of one in the "A Short History of Wristwatches" section in Cooksey Shugart's "Complete Price Guide to Watches."

If I had one, I'd post a picture of it myself, but alas........

SM

7. Kyle Rogers

Kyle Rogers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 1, 2011
    https://mb.nawcc.org/webkit-fake-url://59B2DE42-0FC3-4347-9DCB-C08FB1C7EF8E/image.tiff

https://mb.nawcc.org/webkit-fake-url://3676A3F1-0952-4CC9-A2D0-6825D35A786A/image.tiff

8. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kyle

try again brother! If you want, send me the pics and i will post them

9. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
  10. Kyle Rogers

Kyle Rogers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 1, 2011
    #10 Kyle Rogers, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Frey Perpetual.jpg
    Frey Movement Wig Wag.jpg

Let's see if this worked. This is mine. About your's Adam… does the pendulum hammer hit fairly hard when it moves. When the pendulum hit the metal peg, you know it. I would like to talk to you about the history of this watch. I will PM you.

Frey Perpetual.jpg Frey Movement Wig Wag.jpg

11. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hi Kyle
    I responded your PM

Yes it hits the side of the case hard - like a pendulum of a clock!

12. Montrealgpf1

Montrealgpf1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    Public Servant
    Manotick, ON
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one like this too and would like to replace the stem. Any knowledge out there as to what the base movement is and what stem type/size it uses?

13. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    stems are pretty easy for a watchmaker to make. And I am sure no original parts are available

14. Montrealgpf1

Montrealgpf1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Male
    Public Servant
    Manotick, ON
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. My local guy says it is an entire day’s work and a costly proposition to make a stem.

So I bought the Bestfit 111 book in digital version for $12 and will see if we can id the movement, then the stem. But I am realistic, and get your point above re no originals left.

The outer section of the stem is quite rusted so I hope I can find a proper replacement (if identified, with luck...). My guy tells me he cannot cut and add an extension as the thicker portion of the extension is protruding enough to be in the way of required movements.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this old thread. You’re awesome, Mr. Moderator.

15. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Montrealgpf1,

Hmm, sounds as though he either doesn't want the work or isn't set up to do it; this shouldn't take more than an hour, or at the very most two, to make from scratch.

Regards,

Graham