Perpetual watch by Frey

M

Mike Kearney

This morning Wynter posted the following:

"Digging through some drawers yesterday I found this little oddity.
http://home.inreach.com/wynter/auto.jpg

I was told it was sold as an add on to make a self-winding wristwatch. Obviously the movement would need to be changed to make it fit the case. In fact I would say this thing probably came with a movement since the weight is marked ?4 adj.?. It?s also marked ?Perpetual watch, Made by Frey?.

Have you ever seen one of these in a watch? Does the add on story sound believable?"

Well, I found the answer in Kathy Pritchard's "Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975", and I got so excited I moved your item over here, Wynter.

It turns out that in the mid 1920's, Frey & Co. of Bienne, developed an automatic watch called the Perpetual. It was an oblong movement with a weight that swings about 10 degrees. Henry Fried described it in the June '89 issue of the AWI's Holorological Times. I don't know if there's a picture of it there or not. Frey is listed in Bestfit #111, but I don't know which (if any) of the movements listed is the calibre used in the Perpetual.

Kathy Pritchard says Frey was still in business as late as 1986, but a quick search on the web didn't turn them up. Keep digging for the rest of that movement!

Regards,
Mike

S

Steve Maddox

The movement section in Wynter's pictures above is not an "add-on," but rather, it is just the automatic winding mechanism from what was once a complete movement (and a very interesting one, at that). Almost all automatic movements, even those produced today, have separate self-winding sections which can be removed more-or-less intact from the rest.

Do try to find the rest of this little gem; it's rare, and worth keeping together.

------------------
Steve Maddox
VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

W

wynter

Good morning Steve,

I came to post on this thread the other day and didn?t see it. Then realized my name wasn?t on it. :)

The piece in the scan is the only part I got from the guy years ago. I haven?t tried it but it looks as if one of the common AS movements fits into the opening. I can?t remember which caliber; It?s been a few years since I quit repairing. :)

Wynter

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
My favorite watch book
"Wristwatches, History of a Century's
Development" by Kahlert,Muhe,Brunner shows the complete watch. The movement doesn't resemble many common movements: it's somewhat
of a large baguette or Movado style rectangular.
http://home.pacbell.net/hedgehog/perp.gif

S

Steve Maddox

There's also a picture of one in the "A Short History of Wristwatches" section in Cooksey Shugart's "Complete Price Guide to Watches."

If I had one, I'd post a picture of it myself, but alas........

SM

Kyle Rogers

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 2011
https://mb.nawcc.org/webkit-fake-url://59B2DE42-0FC3-4347-9DCB-C08FB1C7EF8E/image.tiff

https://mb.nawcc.org/webkit-fake-url://3676A3F1-0952-4CC9-A2D0-6825D35A786A/image.tiff

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Kyle

try again brother! If you want, send me the pics and i will post them

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country

Kyle Rogers

NAWCC Member
Sep 1, 2011
Frey Perpetual.jpg
Frey Movement Wig Wag.jpg

Let's see if this worked. This is mine. About your's Adam… does the pendulum hammer hit fairly hard when it moves. When the pendulum hit the metal peg, you know it. I would like to talk to you about the history of this watch. I will PM you.

Frey Perpetual.jpg Frey Movement Wig Wag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Hi Kyle
I responded your PM

Yes it hits the side of the case hard - like a pendulum of a clock!

Montrealgpf1

NAWCC Member
Nov 6, 2016
Manotick, ON
Country
Region
I have one like this too and would like to replace the stem. Any knowledge out there as to what the base movement is and what stem type/size it uses?

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
stems are pretty easy for a watchmaker to make. And I am sure no original parts are available

Montrealgpf1

NAWCC Member
Nov 6, 2016
Manotick, ON
Country
Region
Thanks. My local guy says it is an entire day’s work and a costly proposition to make a stem.

So I bought the Bestfit 111 book in digital version for $12 and will see if we can id the movement, then the stem. But I am realistic, and get your point above re no originals left.

The outer section of the stem is quite rusted so I hope I can find a proper replacement (if identified, with luck...). My guy tells me he cannot cut and add an extension as the thicker portion of the extension is protruding enough to be in the way of required movements.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this old thread. You’re awesome, Mr. Moderator.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Montrealgpf1,

My local guy says it is an entire day’s work and a costly proposition to make a stem.
Hmm, sounds as though he either doesn't want the work or isn't set up to do it; this shouldn't take more than an hour, or at the very most two, to make from scratch.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carl48209
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff