• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Perpetual Motion found!

vanhooglesnort

Oct 14, 2012
I repaired a waterbury mantle clock from the '20s and it won't stop! After running 8 days (8 day movement and all) I removed the pendulum because I'm moving and the packers were coming. It continued running for three days (at about 3.5 times the normal rate) then was packed. Two days later I still hear it chiming in the box! Either the spring I replaced was way too strong even before I got it, or I'm in line for a Nobel prize.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Well, you might get a prize for that, but I think I'd be applying for a patent :D Might be a month runner?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It's not unusual for an 8 day clock to run for an extra week or longer, in good shape. The strike will usually get out of sync, and timekeeping is out the window towards the end of the run.

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Pathological science maybe a better term.

H/C

aitchgee

Feb 5, 2013
Surrey, UK
Country
I've often wondered whether it was ok to let the movement run without the pendulum like this? Can it do any harm? Or is it a good sign that the escapement can run without the extra momentum of the pendulum?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've often wondered whether it was ok to let the movement run without the pendulum like this? Can it do any harm? Or is it a good sign that the escapement can run without the extra momentum of the pendulum?
I don't think it hurts anything to run without a pendulum. No real stresses involved. It does cause problems running without the anchor though. If it runs without the pendulum, it's not an indication of a healthy movement though. Most will, even if they have big issues in the train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlb22
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-