perivale westminster chiming clock

greg wilson

Jul 29, 2011
the clock past the 3/4 chime without chiming it then went to 8 mins to the hour chimed twice and stopped, it has now reached 8mins past and looks set to repeat what it did last time reach 12min then stop, everything seems to work just not in the right order, i am thinking it must be something to do with the timing just not sure what, again can i thank everyone for helping me.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
As you near the 1/4s, the levers should raise, and that part I mentioned before should get in the way and stop the stop wheel by hitting the pin. It should hold it until the lever drops at the 1/4 hour (any quarter). Something is preventing that from happening. Perhaps not raising enough? We need your input on what's happening.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Greg
I'll put the comments in like [this] so's I don't run out of
tags!

the locking lever falls into the notch on the count wheel and the small wheel inside, now when the clock should chime the hour it will only chime a few notes then stop on the count wheel and three hammers are left in mid air [if three hammers are all lifted at once during a chime it means that there's a problem with the hammer assembly (jammed) but I'm not convinced on that]
, then if i move the minute hand round to say 8min past the hour it will chime forever [warning lever detent - see various posts above] until i move the hand to 15min then the lever falls into the notch and stops the chime [that's OK], if i let the clock run the full hour itself it seems to give the warning but will not chime,[self correct as chimes have been interrupted?] the only two things i have moved is the lever that stops the pin and the very bottom cog the one with the two grub screws allowing the hammers to fall, now while doing this the clock as started chiming with the minute hand at 20mins past and will not stop until the hand reaches 26min past, the warning lever is now half way between the notches, stayed like this until the hand reached 1/2 past then chimed twice and stopped when the lever fell into the notch and as left one hammer lifted, i am waiting to see what happens next.
Sorry, cannot understand last part - bottom cog? clock as started? as left? As left of what/where? :confused:
Might be a pond difference and me not figuring out explanation. :D

greg wilson

Jul 29, 2011
sorry i seem to be confusing everyone, the bottom cog is the one on the back plate that controls the lifting of the hammers, i have not moved the cog just loosened the two screws allowing the chiming hammers to fall level, when i said the clock had started chiming that was as i was typing my reply, and when i said left hammer lifted, one of the chiming hammers was left in mid air and remained there and did not fall to chime the last note, hope this is clearer,

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
sorry i seem to be confusing everyone, the bottom cog is the one on the back plate that controls the lifting of the hammers, i have not moved the cog just loosened the two screws allowing the chiming hammers to fall level, when i said the clock had started chiming that was as i was typing my reply, and when i said left hammer lifted, one of the chiming hammers was left in mid air and remained there and did not fall to chime the last note, hope this is clearer,
The hammer drop is adjusted on the back of the clock - the large wheel with a set screw. It would be the last adjustment, when everything else is working right.

greg wilson

Jul 29, 2011
thanks for the last reply, this is what is confusing me, if this is the last setting what is the 1st 2nd 3rd ect. all i seem to do is set something that effects something else, just when i think i am close i adjust something that effects something else, if you wanted to start from the begining and end up with a clock that chimes the 1/4 and strikes the hours what should i do.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I feel your pain, Greg :) first, you want it stopping right. Don't worry about how it sounds. When it's stopping every time it falls into the lock plate, and warning and starting correctly then you can set that back wheel at either the 1/4 or 3/4 mark so it's playing a four note descending scale. Lock it back down and you're good to go. You're almost there, so don't give up :)

greg wilson

Jul 29, 2011
thanks shutterbug for your words of encouragement, was thinking of calling it a day, but now i am even more determined to carry on, i also would like to wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serpman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-