• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Perivale Westminster chime.

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Hello to everyone,
Recently joined your forum. I used to repair clocks from the age of 16 to 18 in 74, and enjoyed it a lot. Problem was at 16, money was everything, and I was only getting £18.00 a week. So went to Fords for a while. Anyway, I would like to try my hand again. And have bought a Perivale Westminster chime. I have installed a new suspension spring and the clock in ticking very strong. It chimes ok, but on the hour, It only chimes once, no matter what the hour is. Is there anything obvious I should look for. Will be taking the movement out this weekend to have a look.
Regards
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
welcome to the MB Peter!

When you have the movement out, show a few pics, in good light, so folk can see exactly what you have. Avoid using a flash if you can.

When you you say chimes only once at the hour, do you mean 'strikes'? as in striking the amount hours? the chime is the tune, in your case Westminster Chimes.

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Sorry, yes strikes only once on every hour. the chimes work fine.
Regards
Peter

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Typically, that means your rack is not falling. You'll have to look at the front of the movement to see if you can spot the problem.

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Thanks. i just took the movement out and it is working fine. I noticed that the silent pin at the front, did not have much travel in its slot. And the key holes were not lined up correctly. So will try again, this time making sure to line up correct. I saw a link on here somewhere for setting the escapement (I think that is what it's called) It's the part that goes back and forth gently touching the first wheel, is this the escape wheel? I want to locate it properly, but not too sure how. 2016-11-13 11.11.10.jpg 2016-11-13 11.11.46.jpg 2016-11-13 11.28.04.jpg 2016-11-13 11.29.00.jpg 2016-11-13 11.29.31.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, that sounds like the escape wheel. The escapement is the interaction of the anchor (the one that rocks back and forth) and the escape wheel.

BigAl

Aug 24, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Country
Region
Yes that is what I would like to adjust correctly.
Are you asking about the 'beat' - getting the time between the tick and the tock exactly even?

BigAl

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Yes, I have tried to adjust the part that holds the pendulum, so that the beat right, but I still have to place some card under one side of clock to raise it, to get the beat right. I'm not sure if the anchor correctly positioned with the escape wheel.

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Ok, I have found that the part of the anchor was bent. I have straightened it, and re-aligned the movement, and so far everything is fine.
PS if there is anyone near London or Essex, It would be great to meet up, to see if I can learn some more from where I left of. As I do enjoy repairing clocks, but did not go as far as bushing.
Regards
Pete

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Spoke too soon. It was striking ok for a couple of hours, then went back to striking just once on every hour.
Ok, I have found that the part of the anchor was bent. I have straightened it, and re-aligned the movement, and so far everything is fine.
PS if there is anyone near London or Essex, It would be great to meet up, to see if I can learn some more from where I left of. As I do enjoy repairing clocks, but did not go as far as bushing.
Regards
Pete

PeterD123

Oct 31, 2016
Country
Thanks for all the info. I took the movement out last night again. It seems that the Rack Hook had some shiny marks on it, as if someone had been adjusting it at some time. It was not clearing and letting the Rack drop. I adjusted it, just a fraction, and it's working fine now, although a little fast, which should be easily adjusted, but chimes and strikes working fine, and the beat is, what I think is called "Dead Beat"
Regards
Peter
See Rack Strike Elements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phonojim
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-