Perivale movement issue

Crazypotato

Jul 21, 2019
Country
Hello,
I’ve been scouring the internet trying to find answers and this thread from 2014 has been the most help. Let me give you some backstory. I have an old Perivale clock my dad gave to me. He bought it at an estate sale but it didn’t work, brought it to a friend of a friend who said he fixed clocks. According to my dad he completely ruined it by “making it look better” and replacing the clock face with a modern one. He supposedly threw the original out. After that my dad had some resentment toward the clock but was reluctant to get rid of it. He can’t remember if he ever let the guy finish fixing the clock. So I’ve inherited it. My father found the pendulum but it’s missing the pendulum leader. Not sure if anyone knows where to buy it. I found another thread on here, guy had the same part missing but it ended with him making one from scratch. I know nothing about clocks, but I’m up for the challenge. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I just want to hear it tick. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, pictures please Crazy.
There's a great lesson there! Don't mess with the way a clock looks without the owner's permission. One man's pretty is another man's ugly :D
I'm going to move your request to it's own thread though.

Reactions: Crazypotato

Crazypotato

Jul 21, 2019
Country
Update: my father found the pendulum leader and pendulum when he was sweeping up his garage. He mailed them up to me. I believe I have a complete clock. I removed bell so I could try and get the clock balanced but I think there may be more to it. See attached photos.
Problem 1: I went to go wind the clock and both sides would not budge - I fear they might be overwound.
Problem 2: I feel the suspension spring is making the pendulum “wobble” preventing it from swinging smoothly- not sure how to fix this. (I will try and upload a video)

Any advice or help is much appreciated. I’m trying to get myself up to speed on terminology and how these work (This is all new to me so please be patient with me! ) thank you all!!

9F1BC056-30AB-4D22-9C2E-876D14B30B6A.jpeg 2169DB89-E622-4DE9-B478-876B2C790052.jpeg BE928281-D4D0-4C20-96BB-1E9A8347306C.jpeg 09A3F311-3C98-4748-9EB4-76DF9B4B93FE.jpeg

Crazypotato

Jul 21, 2019
Country
No success on the video for now. Here is a picture showing how the pendulum is sitting crooked. I’ve checked the pendulum leader and made that straight (it did have a slight bend in it) but with no change. Also I forgot to mention (not sure if it’s a big problem right now) but the pendulum only moved a few ticks before stopping. I understand this can be a balance /beat issue but no matter how many penny’s I wedge under the feet trying to tilt the clock it’s only maybe 10 tics. I can see things moving on the movement, the arm does swing to strike the bell and the arms on the face do move when I manually move the pendulum.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
This is a seriously mistreated clock.
If it were me, I'd be making a new pendulum leader. One may be able to bend or twist it but it would be preferable to start again.
The dial replacement looks like a 1980's type replacement which was all that was available at that time from many suppliers.
I seriously doubt that you'll find many Perrivale dials out there.
Even an old Enfield dial would be preferable.
However, one must needs be satisfied that at least one can read the numerals.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Your suspension spring is the least of your problems as the movement appears fairly dirty so that would need addressed first. This one wouldn't be a good one to start out learning on as it has springs inside of barrels.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
This clock not wanting to run is unrelated to how tight It is wound. It needs to be taken completely apart and cleaned. It may well have other mechanical issues that will be need attention while it is apart. Pendulum wobble can be due to a damaged suspension spring and/ or any of the moving parts not aligned perpendicular to the movement plate. In my opinion, it would be a waste of time trying to fix the wobble or attempting to make this one run without first properly cleaning it. I agree, not the best clock for lesson one unless you seriously want to learn clock repairing. That will require studying a few books on the topic and the expense of the required tools. You may want to send this one out to be repaired correctly if it has special meaning having been your family for some time.

RC

Last edited:

Crazypotato

Jul 21, 2019
Country
Thank you all for prompt replies, I’m not sure what to do now. The clock doesn’t hold much sentimental value to my family (not sure if it has any actual value due to the face change) . My dad says he never remembers it working, I’ll see what kind of quotes I get to fix it. Thank you all again- you might hear from me soon if those quotes are more than the clock is worth haha!

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The case and movement still have value, so I hope you won’t throw the clock away if the price of cleaning is more than you want to pay. You might wish to contact a local NAWCC chapter for help. On the main forum page in “NAWCC Matters of Interest” click on Chapter Views and News”. The top sticky threads will have “Finding a Chapter near you”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian Cooney
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller