Perivale movement chimes but does not strike hours

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Clock chimes every quarter but does not strike. When due to strike nothing happens. No set up noise and lever which should lift the two rods to strike does not move. I can move it manually. It is fully wound. Have not taken mechanism out of its case. Bought the clock a couple of years ago but cannot remember whether it ever struck the hours and have only recently set it going again. Any help appreciated. Am a novice but have managed to replace the ‘spring’ at the top of the pendulum mechanism. C31C9562-1EFF-49F3-AA8E-338018A349FB.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The problem will be on the front of the movement. You'll have to either remove the dial so we can see a pic of the front, or remove the movement from the case. Take the hands off before attempting either ;)

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Thanks. Will do. Off to mow parents in law’s lawn shortly so will post later!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I purchased a WORX robot mower about 3 years ago and love it! It takes awhile to put the border line (invisible fence) in place, but after that the mower takes care of itself. Comes out on a schedule, does it's thing and finds its way home for recharging. Fully self sufficient other than replacing the blades every 3 months or so. They are a bit like razor blades and not expensive. Talk your wife's parent into looking at one :D
NOTE: They do great on relatively flat land. They don't climb steep hills well.

Last edited:

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
This is the front. Very difficult to get the top screws out, will be a challenge getting them back!

42FF6F0D-EE45-4605-AB02-7322A7B35034.jpeg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If you decide to take the movement out of the case, it will be a lot easier if you remove the chime stand first. Ah, I’m too late on that advice.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The way it works is that the rack (looks like a saw) is "gathered" one tooth at a time by that upper circular part with a pin (gathering pallet). The pallet should turn as the rack is gathered and it should strike once for each tooth.
Your rack is in a lowered position, which means the train is not running. Perhaps the gathering pallet is rubbing against the rack? Try turning the pallet by hand and see if the strike starts. Be sure it's wound up. Let us know what happens.

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Fully wound. blue marker = rack, yellow = gathering pallet. Red = wheel with a cut out of it. If I move the gathering pallet up so that it strikes the pin and moves off the rack nothing happens. The wheel with a cut out of it between the two will turn both ways but is stiff. Not sure if I should but I have turned it a full revolution clockwise.Again nothing happens. It is not rubbing against the rack.

89DC6E07-8E08-4CBE-A673-F5DD061FFF6C.jpeg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The yellow is on the rack hook. The red is the gathering pallet. It will turn counterclockwise when in operation. In your photo, the chime silence selector is on (green). If it is the same on the movement now, you need to push up at the green arrow so the upper portion (green circle) no longer touches. Have you set the movement up on a narrow block of wood so that you can hang the pendulum and watch it work? The bottom mounting tabs need to hang over which is why the wood needs to be only slightly wider than the movement depth, or you can remove the bottom tabs one at a time. The other three nuts will hold the movement together while you take one off, then put the nut back on. Without the bottom tabs, you can set it up on some books.
perivale.jpg

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Have set it up on books as suggested. Have noticed that the spindle of the rectangle on image right, will not remain in its hole. I assume this has something to do with the strike as the one on the other side whirls round when the clock chimes. Could this be why the strike does not happen?

01B28FE0-09B8-40E8-85B2-EC6E04DAC354.jpeg 6F2C9DE5-962F-4322-B9DA-0BFD81A8B742.png

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Unless it is jamming, the strike fan only controls the speed of the strike. The chime side is what actually sets up and initiates the strike to happen, so you will have start there. If you set the movement on the edge of the books so the pendulum can be hung, you can set it in motion and watch it work. Attach the minute hand, move it clockwise to about 5 minutes before a quarter. Then move the minute hand very slowly until you see the chime fan begin to turn but then stop. That is the warn run and an important part of the sequence. Let us know if you see that.

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Great video, now I can see what should happen! Yes the warn run works on the chimes mechanism though it would appear that the chimes gathering pallet does not always complete its movement as I have left clock running and the pallet isn’t always in the right place, given the position of the hand, to activate the correct number of chimes. Plus on the hour nothing happens to the strike pallet.Should say that I am assuming that the length of the divisions on the chime pallet are relevant to the number of chimes required the smallest being for quarter past and so on. Hope that makes sense! Should add that before I removed the mechanism, the chiming was fine.

Last edited:

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
It is difficult to be sure that I understand your observations correctly without some common terms. By "chimes gathering pallet" I think you mean the large circular disk that has indents for each quarter? This page is from the "How to Do It" articles of "Chime Basics" listed at the top of this forum. Scroll down to the "British Anvil Front" movement which is the same as yours. If you can use those terms, you will get better advice. https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Chime-Clock-Basics

As to the tune not matching the hands, if the chime/silent selector has been pushed down and then up, the movement may take an hour to correct the chimes to the hand. During this correction period it will either play the wrong section of the tune, or no tune at all. It may be that your chime correction is not functioning properly. You are correct that the shortest part on the plate is for the 1st quarter of the tune. The longest one with the bump on it is the 4th quarter. Your best advice will come if you can video your movement in the same manner as the one I posted so that we can see what the movement is doing. The video must be posted to a public site, such as youtube (listed "public"), then the link pasted into your post with the "chain" icon.

So, you are seeing a warn run. And it appears the chime is functioning. When the cam follower goes over the bump on the 4th quarter of the locking plate, the rack should fall as in my video. Does it?

Last edited:
Reactions: DAC21

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Thank you for your continued help and patience. Yes the circular disc is what I meant by chimes gathering pallet...sorry I just assumed that it would be the same name as the strike disc! Will check out the link you posted. The chime/silent selector appears to work though it only moves a short way up from silent to chime, not the whole way up from the bottom of 3 to the top on the dial.The rack and strike gathering pallet were doing nothing but there has been a new development: the strike fan, the spindle of which I said previously had come out of its hole, dropped out of its own accord and now the rack does drop and the pallet revolves at great speed at the 4th quarter. The thin spike at one end of the fan is not there I guess it must have broken off. Presumably it will not work properly until I replace this? I have a broken Smith’s mechanism which looks as though it works on the same principle, might one of its fans fit?obviously it is not exactly the same shape and the cog on the fan spindle is smaller in length. Not sure if the cog is the right size.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Without the fan, it will strike too fast, but now you know the strike actually works. If the other clock has the same measurement between the plates, and the leaves (cogs) on its fan arbor (spindle) look the same, it might work. The pivot (pin) that broke off the fan arbor can be repaired by a clock repair person, and usually the price is reasonable. You will need to now decide how much the clock is worth to you to have that done. No matter what you decide, the clock even in non working condition has value and shouldn’t be discarded.

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Thank you so much for your advice and time. Will let you know how I get on. Take care, stay safe!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You mentioned that the fan pivot comes out of the hole? If that's the case, you might have a broken pivot. Can we see that part closer?

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Yes, looks to me like the end has broken off. Have tried to replace the fan with one from a Smith’s but the spike on the end is too thick.

1C44C552-5DC4-47DC-8606-A8494A1B1EC0.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yep, there's your problem. It needs to be replaced or repaired. Contact David LaBounty. He has a huge inventory of used parts, and can either find a fan for you or replace the pivot. Click on his name. I notice the other pivot is bent too. Be real careful putting the replacement in so you don't get into the same spot ;)

DAC21

Apr 22, 2021
Country
Thanks for the help and the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit