Perivale Anvil clock with 3 winding points.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ronialive, Aug 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ronialive

ronialive New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    DEar All,
    I hope you can help
    I have bought a Perivale anvil clock however cannot make it work - the seeler said it did work.

I have found this on previous questions.
    The middle winding arbor is for the time train, the right is for the chime train and
    the left is for the strike train.
    Wind all three springs smoothly up to a stop. You can't overwind with a key, unless you
    us a wrench and brutal force.

I have wound all 3 points and put the pendulum in place - however is the pendulum supposed to hang ith the clipping point not showing or from the back where the hole and clip can still be seen.

the first point will not turn and I have wound the 2nd and 3rd fully. The pendulum seems to start and then it stops again.
    There is a screw loose inside the clock but no obvious place that it has come from.
    If the previous owner over wound the first point can I make it unwind- my granddad used to gently press on the spring or rock it from side to side.

I am anxious to make it work as my granddad had one identical and when he passed away my sister had it.
    all help gratefully received as I cannot afford to take it somewhere to be repaired.

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

As you have already found out, you can't overwind a clock, so that is not your problem.

I am not sure what you are meaning about the pendulum. What is the 'clipping point'? If you could post some photos of what you have, we can surely help.

It sounds as if you are not hanging the pendulum properly and the clock may also need putting in beat. All easily done but photos would really help.

The loose screw may be one of the screws holding the movement in the case, but again, we need to see.

JTD

3. ronialive

ronialive New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    thank you- I will take and post photos tomorrow

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My understanding is Perivale used the same suspension block on their pendulum regulated clocks, it is a simple arrangement with a suspension spring and the top of the pendulum hooks onto a crossbar at the base of the spring, not the crossbar at the top. The pendulum itself is in two parts, the bottom part with the bob hooks onto the top part.

5. ronialive

ronialive New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #5 ronialive, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    View attachment 354187 View attachment 354188 View attachment 354189 View attachment 354190 View attachment 354191 View attachment 354192 View attachment 354193 View attachment 354194 View attachment 354195

I am hoping the pictures upload aas I am not used to the site. The chime works, the 15 minute ring and hour works. The clock will start to go tick tock but it stops. Sometimes it catches itself and starts to tick tock in the opposite direction. I have video'd so you can see.
    I have cleaned with air in a can and the chime is much better and des not stick.
    All advise gratefully received as I feel I am close and very excited at what I have achieved.
    regards Roni

6. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    You have got off to a good start.

I am fairly certain your clock is out of beat. That can easily be rectified. If you go to the top of the Clock Repair section, about 9 items down from the top in the permanent threads you will find 'How to do it articles'. Click on that and then scroll down to an item called 'Beat Setting 101'. Open that and you will find out how to set your clock in beat and at the same time learn the reasons for the adjustments you will make.

Let us know how you get on.

JTD

7. ronialive

ronialive New Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #7 ronialive, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    I have been working with coins and have the clock working. It seems to be keeping time. I need to learn now how to do this without coins- then can work on the wood and how to change the leather in the chime heads. to give it a better sound.
    I am so excited and cant wait to get a new clock now to fix up. could you advise how to adjust the crutch on this clock as none of the workings are visible like in the pictures.
    I believe from previously read articles that I move the top section of the pendulum to the side- right for me as that is the side raised- until it moves no further and then I just push it a little further ad this will adjust the crutch.
    Is this correct please as I understand if I get it wrong I could damage the mechanisms.
    many thanks

8. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    It is good that you have the clock ticking evenly (in beat) by raising up one side with coins. I am assuming you read the 'Beat Setting 101'.

Yes, move the pendulum leader to the higher side until you feel it move slightly . Then take the coins away and see how your clock's tick sounds. If it better but still needs a coin or two, move the crutch a bit more. If you have moved it too far and you need a coin on the other side to put it in beat, then move the crutch a little the other way.

Remember to leave your clock for a few moments to settle down after each adjustment you make, so that you can hear the beat properly.

I think you have understood properly what you have read and you should be able to get you clock in beat. Let us know if you have a trouble.

JTD

9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The style of pendulum bob with the adjustment nut in the centre was introduced around 1947 and the serial # indicates it dates to 1950-51. The following is taken from a Perivale instruction label on putting an Anvil clock in beat which hopefully may help.

If the clock is placed on a surface which is not entirely level and the "ticking" not quite regular the following simple operation will put the matter in order; at the back of the clock there is a shaft bearing the pendulum; by moving the lower part of the shaft to to the right or to the left as the case may be, the clock will be put into beat at once.