Pequegnat Canadian Time Decal

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by woodlawndon, Jan 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently purchased a Pequegnat Canadian Time, time only clock. A really nice example I got from the Curator of the Canadian Clock Museum. I've been wanting one for awhile, beautiful example of a Canadian clock when they meant something.

The case and movement are in beautiful (perfect) shape but it has a couple of quirks. The first is that the dial has three winding holes and the clock is time only. Mr. Symons assured me that the dial was original to the clock and would have been a manufacturers choice because of supply. It kind of makes sense (and of course I believe him) because the centre hole has wear and the other two have no wear. It's signed Berlin and Allan pointed out that the scrolling on the bottom indicated it was closer to 1904 than 1916. There are two stickers on the back, it looks like the purchase date was 1908 and the first service date was in 1915. It came from a Jeweler in Montreal, Quebec.

The second quirk is that there is no "Canadian Time" decal on the lower glass. The lower glass is old, it has many waves. If the glass was a replacement it happened very early in the clock's life. I have a different theory. If you understand Canadian politics, you know that some residents of Quebec didn't/don't exactly embrace being part of Canada. I'm surmising that either the clock was ordered without the decal or it was removed later. The jeweler's stickers I mentioned earlier were also carefully placed over the word Canadian on the back label. Kind of cool and sad at the same time.

The reason for this long post is that I would like to try to return the Canadian Time transfer to the bottom glass. Any ideas how I would go about this? I suppose I could start with a nice, clean picture of the decal. Does anyone have one or please pass on your ides. Much appreciated.
    Don

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Don. I know a fellow in California who makes decals. I've used him for an ITR decal for a time clock. You would need to give him a good picture to copy, though.
    I heard Alan had heart problems recently, how is he?

3. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Harold, that sounds promising. I know a couple of the folks here have the Canadian Time clock so maybe I can get a good picture. Does it need to be in pdf or some other format?

I didn't know about Allan's heart troubles. This was the first time I had met him, what a knowledgeable and engaging man, he really knows his stuff. I really liked him, honourable man. But he seemed very spry and fine to me last Sunday.

4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good to hear. Someone from up your way was at our chapter meeting last Sunday, and he mentioned something about Alan having heart problems.
    I'll look for my contact info for decals and let you correspond with him.

5. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    His name is Denis Jahn, email at
    dojahn (at) prodigy.net

( I changed the email enough so it is not live. Just change at to @

woodlawndon likes this.
  6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don,
    Congrats on your Pequegnat clock.I think your theory about it being a Quebec clcok sounds reasonable. Rather than PM you here is what it looks like and the dimensions.

Attached is a photo of the decal, with a white background. It was a quick shot but it should give you an idea. "Canadian" is 5 1/2 inches long, "Time" is 3 inches long and from the top of the "A" to the bottom of the "M" it is 3 1/4 inches high. I can get you a better resolution shot in Tiff if you want.

Ron

Pequegnat decal.jpg

7. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From the outside, the decal is 3 1/4 inches from the door frame panel to the "A" and 3 1/4 inches from the edge of the frame to the "C", so. it is slightly top of centre.

Ron

RS Pequegnat decal_1.jpg

8. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cheers Ronnie, very nice of you. I think I'm going to try to get some stencils made up and have a go at the painting myself. If I screw up it will be removeable and I can try again another way. Thanks.
    Don

9. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Be sure to let us see the results.
    Ron