Pequegnat Acquisition

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
My wife sent me out to get light bulbs today.
Took advantage of getting out of the house and made a little detour past Home Depot. And since Philadelphia's a little to far I stuck a little closer to home.
I spotted this time and strike "Ottawa" 2 years ago at a used everything store. You know the kind with everything from used toilets to....you name it.
He wanted fair value for it back then so I left it. I was shocked to still see it lying on the same couch. I had to chuckle a bit because the young couple next to me was scrounging through some old prints/ paintings on the same couch hoping to find a "score", mean while it was right next to them the whole time.

It is missing the pendulum, the fellow said he might have it, but i doubt it will ever show up. Would the pendulum and wood rod be the same as that of a Moncton?
The label is in excellent condition and the movement is stamped Pequegnat along with Berlin.

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice find Joe, you did very well.
I guess you scooped the young couple.:):)

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
No, I'm married Kevin. :) I just scooped the clock. Hey this would go good with your Capital

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am sure i could find space on my wall for it, i might have to move my Korean clock.:D

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello JB,

Nice find... If movement is stamped Berlin; it was made pre-WWI. Berlin changed its name to Kitchener sometime during WWI.

Contact Chapter 92 - Western Ontario... Several members have significant Pequegnat collections and might be able to answer your question.

Andy

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Andy, and Joe, 1916 was the year that Berlin changed its name to Kitchener. Hard to say how long it took to use up Berlin stamped movements, dials and labels that were in their inventory, but I doubt they were scrapped.

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
There is no shortage of Pequegnat collectors in these parts. Looking at some pictures on line, the pendulum appears to be the same as that of a Moncton, where the wood rod is an oval shape. As opposed to just straight cut.

I'm not exactly sure why the 'Ottawa' commands the price it does. I mean it's nothing really special. I guess it must be somewhat hard to find.

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
There is no shortage of Pequegnat collectors in these parts. Looking at some pictures on line, the pendulum appears to be the same as that of a Moncton, where the wood rod is an oval shape. As opposed to just straight cut.

I'm not exactly sure why the 'Ottawa' commands the price it does. I mean it's nothing really special. I guess it must be somewhat hard to find.
The number of chasers (collectors ) and comparative numbers of the chased available (Ottawa model Pequegnat clocks) the former number is exponentially higher than the latter, with lots of us chasing few clocks. A few Monctons had the 4 3/8 inch brass bob cast iron back with an oval top to the stick and a flat back. This is the only pendulum i've seen on the Ottawa model. The main Moncton pendulum i've found is unique to this Pequegnat model only , and is an unusual 3 5/8" brass cast iron backed bob , again oval top,flat back but with a different nut arrangement. I have never seen it on the Ottawa model. I have both pendulums and will post pictures tomorrow if I remember,Happy New Year ,Tom

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
The picture would be appreciated Tom. Thanks for the info.

Blessed New Year!

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
here are photos,the 4 3/8" with the full stick as used on the Ottawa model (though the stick may vary) and the 3 5/8" Moncton only pendulum with the broken stick so just any Moncton pendulum won't neccesarily be correct for the Ottawa

Attachments

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
And this is my Pequegnat #1 Regulator variant ,with a 15 day maintaining power graham deadbeat movement instead of the eight day weight regulator movement, ,and 2 carved pieces added on the bowtie ,as well as a decorated glass , and which also uses the 4 3/8" brass bob pendulum . It is the only one i've ever seen.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice looking clock Uncle Tom, are you on Ebay by the same name you use here?

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
uncle_toms_cabin :)
-> posts merged by system <-
your family aren't by any chance from Petawawa down the Ottawa Valley,i.e. Iain West :???: :)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
No i have sister that lives in Ottawa and a brother in Calgary.But i know of no Ian in my family.There are quite a few Wests around.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment