Pennsylvania Tall Case Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by David D'Apice, Jun 8, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Here's my latest adventure, what appears to be an unmarked PA tall case clock. I'm wondering if anyone out there could identify the movement -- I'm guessing it is a Jacob Cope --- an 8-dayer. There is an interesting lantern-type pinion on one of the motion work gears that might help identify. I'm no expert on this type of clock - this is the first one I've ever had. Enjoy the photos. It's a great hobby!

Attached Files:

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Dave,

An unsigned movement is very difficult to attribute to a particular maker unless it has some unique characteristic that he used - movement appears to traditional 8 day tall clock movement that could be either made in US or England.

The case is broken arch style that was made mid-coast area: MD/PA/NJ/NY. Pennsylvania cases tended to have very heavy arches and this was one is not as massive so it is difficult to formally identify as PA made.

It would be interesting to examine the dial's back for any information on its maker. Is there a false plate and is there anything stamped on it?

Andy Dervan

3. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi there Andy -- there is a false plate -- and not a mark on it ---- I did notice a Cope Clock on Antiques Roadshow -- and they said that the dialmaker was from Philadelphia --- the paint style is deadly accurate to mine --- even the quirks of the numbers and the way the calendar numbers hug the top of the opening. I'm 99% positive it's the same dialpainter (I've got his name written down) --- but no other marks!

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    William Jones did a lot of dials. Yours is probably one of them.

Ralph

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Impressive!

Ron

6. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Dave,

Be careful about believing what you hear on Antique Road Show; I have heard some wopper clock stories.

Paul Foley wrote a excellent Bulletin article on William Jones - check within past two years.

Andy Dervan

7. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Ah -- fantastic -- I'll try to locate the article on William Jones --- that's exactly the guy ---- surely his work!
    Inside the case was a repair tag from Stacey B. C. Wood, Jr., who appears to have been pretty active in the NAWCC. Great.

8. jimkennedy

jimkennedy New Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Very nice tall clock!

Wish you good luck with it.

JIm

9. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    You do know that Stacy Woods authored a few books on Pennsylvania clocks? Yours might be in one of them.

Ralph

10. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks Ralph -- I did get the Lancaster Book, but the clock isn't in there --- Cope worked in Westmorland or Northumberland, so he might not have been in it -- I'm not aware of any other though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jim -- I'm making progress!

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    This was his second book on Lancaster County Clocks.

cover_server.jpg google_preview.gif[SIZE=+1]Clockmakers and watchmakers of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. [/SIZE]
    Wood, Stacy B.C.

[SIZE=-1]Call Number: FC 139 Woo 1995 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]ISBN: 1883294290 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Pub. Info: Lancaster, PA: Lancaster County Historical Society, 1995.

Ralph
    [/SIZE]

He authored a number of other books and articles.

Ralph

12. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    The open-ended lantern pinion,while not necessarily a signature piece,is generally associated with clocks from the PA and NJ areas. It is a characteristic of German clocks. Most of the examples(not a lot) I have seen have been from that area. Also the lower cut-out on the plate(s) is generally associated with clocks from this side of the pond. The curve of the gooseneck also strikes me as being from the PA and NJ area. Your bonnet is very similar to a Jochim Hill that I have.
    Hope this helps.
    tom

13. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    guys!

Thanks