Pendulums with only-for-show fake rating nut?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Peter Planapo, Nov 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I'm fixing up a Metamec model 7637 wall chimer with a (correct for model) 1980 Hermle 341-020 movement (even though "Made in England" is proudly emblazoned on the dial).

It's missing the pendulum so I'm looking at buying a replacement. I'm finding it hard to get hold of anything with a proper rating nut for a reasonable price (i.e. for less than I paid for the rest of the clock). They mostly seem to have a clamping screw on the back, making fine adjustments pretty hit-or-miss. Some have a fake rating nut, only for show, which does nothing!

Is this common? I wonder why the pendulum makers should want to save 5p on such a necessary part? I do have a 19thC Frech clock with fake nut, but at least that has fine rating via the suspension adjuster.

Peter

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    They are available with a conventional rating nut, keep looking. Willie X

3. Peter Planapo

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Willie X, yes I have found a couple but they cost more than the clock. An ebay seller told me the fake ones are for quartz movements, which makes sense.

I'll probably end up with a used one, there are plenty about, not concerned with authenticity as long as it looks ok.

Peter

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This site sells pendulums. Check them out. If we knew how long the pendulum was it would help us..3
    Any other numbers on the movement?

5. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cousins in the UK (about half-way to the M25 on the A12 in Romford, if you haven't dealt with them before) have a complete suite of pendulums for Hermle movements, all of them listed at £19.95. (For those of us in the USA, Merritt's has them for varying prices.) The functional rating nut appears to be the same as I have in my decades-old Emperor kit clock. Perhaps a call to Cousins will tell you if the rating nut is still a real nut or just for show.

Glen

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Glen. I forgot to look at the flag icon :)

7. Peter Planapo

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    SB, yes as you have just realised I'm in the UK. The numbers are 80 (the year I believe), 35 and 112, but of the 35cm a lot is in an exceptionally long leader and the rod needs to be about 22cm. I have it hooked up with a small French-style pendulum and it's working fine (after some cleaning and oiling).

I looked at Cousins, Glen, but we have a sneaky 20% tax called VAT and the shipping is quite a lot on top, so close to £30. My Metamec book shows this model to have had a wooden rod, which is in a whole other universe of pricing. A wooden Hermle rod with 80mm bob would be £46.18.

Since the clock sans pendulum was £15, I was trying to spend £10 or less on a pendulum to keep things in proportion. It isn't exactly an antique at 39 years old, and the decoration is OTT, but the chimes are very sweet. I'll keep looking, maybe a used one on ebay will be the thing.

Peter