• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Pendulum weight

kburly

Jan 23, 2022
Country
Hi I am new to this and have a 400 day ANGEMELDELT clock that my sister gifted to me, I am looking for a weight for the disc pendulum, as one is missing. I am having such a hard time finding one. any info on where I might find one.
Thanks

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Welcome to the forums! You've come to the right place, but to help us help you, we need pictures - lots of pictures. "Angemeldet" means "registered" in German. If you give us a clear closeup of the rear plate, we'll be able to help you identify the maker and approximately when it was made. From there we can figure out what pendulum it needs.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
This is probably the type you need.
Pendb.JPG

It's number 21 in the repair guide and is probably the most common non-Becker disk pendulum. It was used on JUF clocks marked Patent Angemeldet or DRP 144688 from the 1890s to the about 1906.
plate.jpg

Eric

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
With what Eric posted, I have looked at two Huber clocks with a similar back plate and pendulums. One weighs 15.9 oz and the other 13.5 oz. Not really a help, but those are typically higher than most disk pendulum clocks I have certainly the 15.9. Most are 12-13 oz.

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
These disks are not all created equal. Of two that I have at hand, one weighs 374 grams and the other 439 grams, both without any extra weights added underneath.

Eric

kburly

Jan 23, 2022
Country
These disks are not all created equal. Of two that I have at hand, one weighs 374 grams and the other 439 grams, both without any extra weights added underneath.

Eric
Thanks So much for the responses! I do not know what I would need to next, would I need to understand what the current weight of the disk is to replace? or do I look for the counter weights to add to the disc I currently have? sorry if theses questions seem odd

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I thought you said you were missing a pendulum? I suppose there are a number of possibilities. Keep hunting until you find something like what Eric showed. Or if you do have a pendulum and you want to use it as a "marriage", then you'll need to figure out what suspension spring to use. If it were me, I'd probably consider a 0.004" thick spring. Try to set up some kind of rotation test stand outside the clock. Your goal is to have 8 beats in 60 seconds. Start counting "0" when the pendulum rotates to a stop going one direction. When it rotates to the opposite side, that's "1". Time it for 8 of those. If the time is less than 60, you'll need to go thinner. If it's more than 60, you'll need to go thicker. Be sure your pendulum adjuster is in the middle...the adjuster gives you some room to play with.

Kurt

kburly

Jan 23, 2022
Country
I thought you said you were missing a pendulum? I suppose there are a number of possibilities. Keep hunting until you find something like what Eric showed. Or if you do have a pendulum and you want to use it as a "marriage", then you'll need to figure out what suspension spring to use. If it were me, I'd probably consider a 0.004" thick spring. Try to set up some kind of rotation test stand outside the clock. Your goal is to have 8 beats in 60 seconds. Start counting "0" when the pendulum rotates to a stop going one direction. When it rotates to the opposite side, that's "1". Time it for 8 of those. If the time is less than 60, you'll need to go thinner. If it's more than 60, you'll need to go thicker. Be sure your pendulum adjuster is in the middle...the adjuster gives you some room to play with.

Kurt
Hi
I have the pendulum, is is missing one of the counter weights

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
That's easy enough. One has right hand threads and the other has left hand threads. Which one do you need?

Eric

kburly

Jan 23, 2022
Country
That's easy enough. One has right hand threads and the other has left hand threads. Which one do you need?

Eric
That is a good question. The clock is at a clock repair shop, I can go and see and get back to you. Thank you so much for this help.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
In the mean time, you could take the existing one off and weigh it. Then find a nut, stack of quarters, etc., that are close and tape in place. Or not! Good luck!

Kurt

kburly

Jan 23, 2022
Country
That is a good question. The clock is at a clock repair shop, I can go and see and get back to you. Thank you so much for this help.
The counter weight is 22.5 grams threaded, left or right.

C6590FC1-7262-4F0D-AABD-F7D6D0D40836.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-