Pendulum swing

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Zec Richardson, Aug 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Zec Richardson

Zec Richardson Registered User

Aug 15, 2017
    Blogger
    Essex UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not very knowledgable about clocks and after having wanted a proper clock for many years, I finally bought one.
    It is a HAC wall clock and I need some advice on the pendulum.

At the bottom of the case on the back there is a brass plate with markings on and all I can think is that this is marking where the pendulum should be swinging inbetween. (of course I could be wrong).

I have made sure that the clock is hanging straight and yet the pendulum swings more past one side of the plate than it does the other, if that makes sense?

Can anyone offer some advice?
    Should the pendulum swing inbetween these markings and should I adjust the way the clock hangs so that this happens?

2. dg23662

dg23662 Registered User

Jan 26, 2012
    Male
    Retired electrician
    Poquoson Va
    Country Flag:
    You are correct. It is a beat scale. should have the same swing in both direction. you can hang clock to get the beat correct if it is not off very much, but most of the time we will move the crutch by slightly bending or shifting the pallet on clutch shaft. If clock was moved with pendulum hanging then the beat would be knocked off. Now let me say that I am a self taught clock worker. Start working and collecting clock after I retired. Don't let the bug bite you unless you have a understanding wife. Mind was fine with my first 15 or 20 but now that I have over 50 she gets a little angry when I get a new one.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Often the plague is not positioned properly. To test it, line the plaque's (usually largest) center mark up with the pendulum tip. Check the clock's position on the wall, visually or using a level on the door frame sides. If the clock's position is good, your beat plaque is positioned properly. If not, the plaque can be repositioned, or you can make a small dot on the plate, with a Sharpe pen, to suffice. The beat can now be checked as dg24 just mentioned. When all is well the beat, the plaque, and the case's position on the wall, will all be true and in agreement.
    The plaque's primary purpous is to act as a carpenter's plumb bob. It's secondary purpous is decorative.
    Willie X

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The ear and I have only one that is failing, is the best listener.
    your click should beat evenly between numbers 1 2 3 4. if it goes 12 34, then you need to shorten or lengthen the gap, by ear.

5. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 roughbarked, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Yes it does. If when you take the dial and hands off, you are presented with wires that appear to have been bent deliberately, then one of them has been accidently slightly bent out of shape. If you assure that your wall clock stays vertical by using a level and nailing the bottom of the clock to the wall via an attached bit of that old clock spring that has been mentioned elsewhere, then you may play with your fingers by bending the wires to the ear I have mentioned.

or you could search the forum for beat adjustment or wait for a moderator to come along and fix this.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The crutch should be adjustable without bending any wires to set the beat on this clock. It will be difficult for our poster to use your ears for this.:whistle:

7. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    You can make a note as to where the pendulum swing ends in
    each direction.
    Stop the pendulum and slowly move the pendulum in the direction
    is was swinging.
    You should hear the escapement action as the escapement pallet
    drops on the next tooth.
    Make a note where this happened.
    Repeat in the other direction and note.
    The distance between the ends of the swings and
    the end where it escaped, would be equal on each
    side if the clock was in beat.
    If the case was correct and the clock was in beat,
    the beat plate is positioned wrong.
    If the distances at the ends of the swings were different,
    the beat is not optimal for the mounted position of the
    movement.
    Tinker Dwight

10. Zec Richardson

Aug 15, 2017
    Blogger
    Essex UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay, thank you all for the replies.
    I will see if I can use this advice.
    The clock sounds like it is in a perfect rhythm (if thats the term) and is keeping time well. So if this is the case should I leave it?
    If I correct this will it then cause problems and put it out of beat?
    But I know that the pendulum is doing this and so it annoys me.
    Seems odd that the pendulum is swinginging further one way than the other but is in beat.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not uncommon, Zec. That indicator may have been moved or misapplied at the factory. If it's in beat, be satisfied.

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Zec,
    Actually the pendulum ALWAYS moves the same direction left and right, measuring from the 'at rest' position. From your description the plaque is just out of place a bit. As already stated in post 3 and by others.
    Easy to correct, if you are so inclined.
    Willie X

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree entirely with Shutterbug, WillieX and others, if the clock is in beat, straight on the wall, and keeping good time, then be happy and leave it be.

If it really bothers you, move the beat plaque as has been suggested. In my experience, on mass produced clocks such as yours, the beat plaque was more for show and decoration than to be a exact gauge.

I'd leave it be.

JTD

14. Zec Richardson

Aug 15, 2017
    Blogger
    Essex UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, I think that maybe best.

15. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Being in beat is a function of the movement and not the
    case or the bear scale.
    When most of us repair clocks, we try to closely adjust the
    beat of the movement to the level case.
    In many cases, to move the beat scale would damage the
    case.
    You can do what yo think it needs.
    Tinker Dwight

16. Zec Richardson

Aug 15, 2017
    Blogger
    Essex UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't intend to move the plate.
    Someone mentioned the sound and they can tell if its okay by that, if I posted a youtube video and posted the link would someone then say yes or no as to whether it sounds right?

17. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You can do that if you like but you really don't need to. You can listen to your clock yourself.

First of all, you have already told us that the beat is even and the clock is running well.

You have read the 'Beat Setting 101' lesson, so you know what putting a clock in beat means. All that anyone listens for is an even tick-tock, tick-tock, and you have that already I believe. A clock which is out of beat will sound uneven, tick-tock or tick-tock.

If your clock is running well and sounds as it should, stop worrying!

JTD

18. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many clocks, such as the venerable ST #2 have a pendulum that hangs somewhere other than the centerline of the movement.
    This means they also won't hang in the direct center of the case.
    If you want the beat scale to read correctly (or, at least, evenly), you need to either move it to match where the pendulum hangs (with the case being level) or hang the case slightly off level and adjust the verge to get an even beat.

19. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

on the ST#2 the movement IS mounted off center to the case, but the hour/minute canons, second hand and verge are lined up perfectly vertical... and centered. the pendulums on my three ST2s all hang centered on the beat scales... as they do on the two 61a movements i also have (same movement, 30-tooth escape wheels, seconds pendulums).

20. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All true.
    But, the suspension post in the iron bracket that the pendulum hangs from is mounted slightly to the right of that line.
    At least it is in my examples.

21. Zec Richardson

Aug 15, 2017
    Blogger
    Essex UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh damn, I hate admitting to being ....well stupid, but I have to here!
    I opened the door to wind the clock today and saw....
    yes two screws that are tightened by hand when loosened the clock mechanism can be moved left or right and yes you have guessed it.
    The clock isn't sitting dead centre, I then closed the door and saw that indeed the face is slightly off in the cotout of the door and I hung my head in shame and embarrasment!

22. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Never mind, we've all done that (or something like that). You've learnt all sorts of things in your search for the solution and you'll know for next time.

And isn't it a nice feeling when the problem is solved, even if it did take a while!?

JTD