Pendulum mismatch?

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I don't believe this weird little pendulum goes with this clock. The Clock is a Schatz 53, that doesn't look like a Schatz pendulum to me.
1623957954780.png

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Yeah, I use homey to mean home made. Somebody took the shells for the weights and ran them onto threaded rods sticking out the side. I guess you have to rotate each one individually in/out to adjust the rotation...and make sure each is turned exactly the same amount. They must be internally threaded. I can't even begin to see how they made the vertical column.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
It means I bid on it, but I'm retracting my bid because I don't want it. I jumped because I thought "how unique", I didn't realize how "unique" it is, home made, one of a kind, does not match the clock.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I presume those pictures were from the bid site. Not sure we're allowed to do that unless you have permission to use the pictures. Overall, there's a forum rule to not link or reference to auction/bid sites. No problem mentioning something or ask a general question about an item, but to use the pictures, etc., is frowned on.

NAWCC Forums Rules | NAWCC Forums

Kurt

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
I like that homebrew pendulum, sure to not have wobbly parts like most pendulums do. Design really does not look that hard to make.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
I would think that the pendulum would work because the adjustment range is far wider than the factory originals.
Only real issue I see with it is the thread pitch on the balls looks far to coarse for easy fine tuning.

Checking a kundo miniature pendulums rate adjustment movement by turning the rate wheel a full turn resulted in about a 10 thousandths change in the distance between the balls. Kinda hard to measure this because its so flexiable but it gives a feel for just how little change in ball position makes a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller