Pendulum Leader question, should I fabricate?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by psoley1, Aug 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. psoley1

psoley1 Phil S.
    NAWCC Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Male
    Midland, TX
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

I am working on a Kieninger grandfather clock movement with FJK on the back. The movement is missing its pendulum leader.

I have located what I believe to be the correct leader on both BFI and timesavers (see attached photo), but both are sold out. I cannot find a similar leader anywhere. I do have an extra urgos leader (attached) and I was curious if I could simply modify it and use it on this Kieninger movement?

I also understand I may have to fabricate my own leader. Although I have never done this before and am looking for tips on where to begin.

Thank you,

Phil S.

B5F870E1-3E2E-46F8-9EB8-4ECB7D397C7E.jpeg 7BBCFA1C-00BE-4794-BA87-81009541425C.jpeg 22C65C72-405F-4363-B9B3-5EF69F80BA62.jpeg AA17FF27-C398-484E-9069-0E04F031965E.jpeg

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The one in your hand does not have a slot for the crutch drive pin. Sure, you can fabricate something as long as it is the right length and has a proper slot for the drive pin. The clock will never know.

RC

3. psoley1

psoley1 Phil S.
    NAWCC Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Male
    Midland, TX
    Country Flag:
    Could I drill a hole in the one I have where the drive pin slot is supposed to go?

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If possible by the dimensions of the one you have, yes. Make the hole just a hair larger than the diameter of the drive pin. The pin needs to move without friction but there should not be any sloppiness.

However, the pin is probably not supposed to ride in a hole but in a straight slot. Maybe all you have to do is to file the existing slot so that it is just a hair wider than the pin.

Uhralt

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I wouldn't use that Urgos leader. Mainly because of the odd suspension spring necessary and also because you won't have much meat left at the sides of the slot. Willie X

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It should be a slot because there is sometimes an up and down motion as the pendulum swings. Agree with Willie, not much metal there to work with, butan appropriate leader should be easy to fabricate from sheet brass. Well maybe not easy, but at least not too hard.

RC

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    A late model Hermle 451 leader might work. They use a regular suspension spring and come with two slots. They are 5 1/2" long so you would probably need to alter the pendulum top.

Or just remove the brace from a newer Kieninger leader. You will need to create a new lower slot and change to the newer pendulum hook. This one is 6 7/8" in length. About the same length as the one you seek. Willie X

8. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Ronell Clock Co has the leader you seek, part number PMH-050.

Cheers

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    BFI shows the required leader also UPH2/OLD but you would have to make a phone call and see if they actually have said part. Willie X

10. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Willie X in his original post he said that Black Forest had none in stock.

11. psoley1

psoley1 Phil S.
    NAWCC Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Male
    Midland, TX
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your insightful replies. I ended up modifying a leader I found that was more or less similar to the one needed. I just had to make a slot in it, which I did by using my Bergeon machine and a file to make about a half inch slot. It is the right size, has a small amount of slop, but overall it gets the job done. The clock has been running with it for the past 3 days and seems to be working fine.

12. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    I am interested in seeing how the leader interacts with the wheel attached to the end of the crutch. Appears to me to be a means of setting the beat. I have never seen this model of a Kieninger movement. Could you please post a picture. Does anyone know what Kieninger movement this is?

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are correct. The crutch pin goes through the slot on the hanger and the pin can be rotated either direction to change the beat. I always set the beat with it in the middle so the owner can make any changes he needs in the future.

14. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I can't think of any reason the pins should ever be removed. Willie X

15. psoley1

psoley1 Phil S.
    NAWCC Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Male
    Midland, TX
    Country Flag:
    Here’s a photo of what I did. It’s not perfect but it works.

89AAEF43-E104-42EC-A1CF-4EF52AF1F26A.jpeg

16. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks good!

Uhralt