PENDULUM CLOCK STOPS EVERY HOUR AT 5mins TO THE HOUR

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Vintagethings77, Oct 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vintagethings77

Vintagethings77 New Member

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    I wondered if anyone out there can give me some tips on what to look for. The clock has been "dunked" in cleaning solution and the springs put back in and oiled using correct clock oil. Now for some reason the clock stops at 5 to the hour every hour.. once the minute hand has been moved manually forward the clock will then happily chime and run for the next hour. Could it be something to do with the chime warning?? Its a british clock and movement stamped with the patent 421434 made in england....
    Thanks

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message Board!
    Pictures of the movement would help a lot. Did the clock run before cleaning? There seems to be a power loss so that he little extra effort that the clock needs to go into warning stops the clock. Or maybe a lever has been bent and there is some binding when the clock goes into warning. Hard to tell without pictures.

Uhralt

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

i think you mean 'strike' instead of 'chime'... either way, you really need to post photos so people have some idea of what clock you're talking about.

dunk and swish is not really the right way to service a clock, but it sounds like it's running except for the stopping problem. and, yes, it sounds like it's hanging up when going into warning. no real way to know without disassembling enough to put it through its paces and observe to see what's going on.

i've been working on an early 1730's tall case movement that would do the same... i thought it was the warning and strike setup, but it turned out to be occasional binding in the motions works gears that required careful hand filing. you never know until you look, and you can never look too closely.

that said, we can't look at all without photos. :cool:

4. Vintagethings77

Vintagethings77 New Member

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I never said I was an expert :) my partner and I are novices so sorry the correct terminology wasn't used! We all have to start somewhere right?? The clock mechanism is currently in the case, I will, when I get chance take it out and take some pictures.

5. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds to me the leaver is not droping to let the warning set itself, therefore stoping the clock as the pressure builds up?

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board (again!).

As has been said already, it is very difficult to know how to advise you when we have no idea what sort of clock we are talking about, so photos really are necessary.

In the meantime, I did a little searching on the basis of the UK patent number you quoted. If you use the little search icon (looks like a magnifying glass) at the top of the page and put W.G. Pales Clock into the box, I think you will find a good deal of information about the clock which I believe you have.

Please be assured that there are many people here willing and able to help you, but we really do need to see what we are trying to advise upon, so please post photos as soon as you can.

JTD

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried JTD's idea and found this thread that might help. It is a chimer, so your issue might be the warning stop pin on the chime side being a tiny bit out of position when the lever rises. If it hits it just right, it will jam up and stop the clock.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, that is the thread I referred to.
    JTD

9. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When did the clock last operate properly? Was it working before you dunked it? You say it was "dunked" in cleaning solution and the springs put back in, were the springs removed from the barrels and cleaned and oiled and put back in the barrels? I'm not familiar with this clock but some chime clocks use stronger springs for the chime function - any chance the springs got mixed up when you put them back? "Dunking in cleaning solution" doesn't really do a very good job of cleaning the important areas and more importantly does not allow one to see the condition of the pivots. When the clock is running how much total pendulum swing do you see? A bit of extra effort is required from the time train to initiate the chime function so it is already a weak runner that is when it will stop. If nothing mechanical was changed since the last time the clock worked properly, and the springs were returned to their correct places, you may be looking at some worn pivots and/or pivot holes, or there may still be some crap the dunk and swish didn't remove. We really do need to see pictures of what you are working on, or even a video showing the clock running as the problem happens. Without more information all anyone can do is guess and suggest possabilities.

RC