• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Help Pendulum clock chimes 15+ times

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thinking more on it, the detent on the upper arm of the lifter may be only for the warning run. There may be another pinned wheel that actually stops the strike train. Look carefully at the wheels on the strike side to see if one of the wheels has a small hole in the rim or has a broken stub in it.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Thinking more on it, the detent on the upper arm of the lifter may be only for the warning run. There may be another pinned wheel that actually stops the strike train. Look carefully at the wheels on the strike side to see if one of the wheels has a small hole in the rim or has a broken stub in it.
I have attached 2 pictures that I try to show that there are 2 wheels in that area that have 1 pin each. The 2nd wheel is right behind the firsts and over to the right (looking at clock). It appears to me that the 2nd pin is to high also for the detent to catch it.

ClockPins1 (2).jpg ClockPins5 (2).jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Each pinned wheel will have something that can catch the pin and stop the the wheel. I believe the lifter is properly catching the pin on the higher wheel during warning. The pinned wheel that is lower and to the right will be caught by a different tab. I suspect it would be on the back side of the rack hook. I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like the rack hook has a tab on the inside of the front plate. Click on the photo to enlarge it, and the red arrow is pointing to the metal strap I think could be what should catch the pin on the second wheel. Since the rack is already fully gathered, I think you should be able to just look inside to see if that strap is in line with the second pinned wheel. If it doesn't look like it is in line, that second pin has to be caught somewhere else. Even though the theory of how strikes are started and stopped is pretty much the same on all clock movements, how they actually accomplish the task can have dozens of different ways which all work. Since we can't actually see yours working from the angles we need, it's going to take a little time to sort this out. But, I think since your are willing to try, it will eventually get done.
ClockPins5 (2)mine.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The wheel nearest to the fly is for warning, as Jack says. Its detent only catches it before the hour of half-hour - say 5 minutes.
The warning lever drops to allow it to strike.
The other wheel with a pin is to stop it when the strike finishes.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Each pinned wheel will have something that can catch the pin and stop the the wheel. I believe the lifter is properly catching the pin on the higher wheel during warning. The pinned wheel that is lower and to the right will be caught by a different tab. I suspect it would be on the back side of the rack hook. I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like the rack hook has a tab on the inside of the front plate. Click on the photo to enlarge it, and the red arrow is pointing to the metal strap I think could be what should catch the pin on the second wheel. Since the rack is already fully gathered, I think you should be able to just look inside to see if that strap is in line with the second pinned wheel. If it doesn't look like it is in line, that second pin has to be caught somewhere else. Even though the theory of how strikes are started and stopped is pretty much the same on all clock movements, how they actually accomplish the task can have dozens of different ways which all work. Since we can't actually see yours working from the angles we need, it's going to take a little time to sort this out. But, I think since your are willing to try, it will eventually get done.
View attachment 675640
Thank you for your replies! I am definitely determined to fix this!
I attached a picture of what I believe is the piece that your arrow points to. Also a video that I think shows that it "just misses" the pin on the wheel. Perhaps that is where the problem is?

IMG-7215.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I think you’ve found the problem. Again, use the fan to control the strike train. You will need the lifter to have fallen off the star arm so it is out of the way. Move the minute hand to the hour or half hour. You need the rack fully gathered and the rack hook in place, holding the rack. With those pieces in place, you then need to move the tab you’ve identified so it catches the pin or determine if something has moved out of its original position which makes it miss the pin. I can’t tell from the video which it is, so see if you can figure it out. If not, post again.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
I think you’ve found the problem. Again, use the fan to control the strike train. You will need the lifter to have fallen off the star arm so it is out of the way. Move the minute hand to the hour or half hour. You need the rack fully gathered and the rack hook in place, holding the rack. With those pieces in place, you then need to move the tab you’ve identified so it catches the pin or determine if something has moved out of its original position which makes it miss the pin. I can’t tell from the video which it is, so see if you can figure it out. If not, post again.
Thank you! I will try that here in just a bit!!

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
ok I did a new video in slo motion. Not sure if it helps, but it seems to show that the pin actually, slightly, touches the tab on the rack hook.

With the pictures I tried to show the tab/pin to watch in the video
My notes on picture #2, I don’t know how to have the rack hook stay back farther or even if that’s what it needs.
Thank you for your help!

2D9ECF15-5FC7-4AA8-A0FA-66C4333B0A65.jpeg 65EA0065-5DF0-4E55-B5CA-6D12BABAF08A.jpeg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
You still have the problem of the gathering pallet hooked onto a tooth of the rack, which is preventing it from resting against the rack hook. When the rack rests again the hook, it will prevent it from bouncing out of the way of the pin, which (bouncing) you show in the video. It appears shutterbug had the right of it all along. You need to adjust the gathering pallet so that none of the pins are touching the rack when it is fully gathered. The gathering pallet is friction fit, but turning it can be anything from easy to really hard. Sometimes you must pull it off the arbor, but it must be pulled straight up or you risk breaking the arbor. Two paint can openers or two screwdrivers of the same size can be used to pry it off. Even downward pressure with paint can openers. Twist in opposite directions with screwdrivers. Turn or replace the gathering pallet so that the rack rests fully against the rack, hook and no pins are touching the teeth of the rack.
rack hook.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
As all have said, the problem is that the GP's pin is in contact with rack when the clock isn't striking and therefore needs moving, so it's free of the rack.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
You still have the problem of the gathering pallet hooked onto a tooth of the rack, which is preventing it from resting against the rack hook. When the rack rests again the hook, it will prevent it from bouncing out of the way of the pin, which (bouncing) you show in the video. It appears shutterbug had the right of it all along. You need to adjust the gathering pallet so that none of the pins are touching the rack when it is fully gathered. The gathering pallet is friction fit, but turning it can be anything from easy to really hard. Sometimes you must pull it off the arbor, but it must be pulled straight up or you risk breaking the arbor. Two paint can openers or two screwdrivers of the same size can be used to pry it off. Even downward pressure with paint can openers. Twist in opposite directions with screwdrivers. Turn or replace the gathering pallet so that the rack rests fully against the rack, hook and no pins are touching the teeth of the rack.
View attachment 676665
Hi all,
I turned the gathering pallet so that no pins were touching. But it still keeps striking until the, lifts the rack hook (first video) then the 2nd video shows how even though it started with the gathering pallet not touching the rack, it continues to strike until the 1st video happens.
I attached links to 2 videos.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The second video shows the rack and rack hook working properly. If you place pressure on the rack hook pin once the rack is gathered, does the strike stop? If so, then I would check the spring wire on the rack, in green circle. Either it is positioned wrong, or isn't strong enough.
rack hook2.jpg

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
The second video shows the rack and rack hook working properly. If you place pressure on the rack hook pin once the rack is gathered, does the strike stop? If so, then I would check the spring wire on the rack, in green circle. Either it is positioned wrong, or isn't strong enough.
View attachment 676761
Ok! I will give that a try!!!!
View attachment 676761
The strike does stop if I put pressure on the rack hook. So as you mention the spring, in the picture, I circled in red, awhile back it was not attached to anything, I guessed where it should be, do you think it should attach in a different place? And I can try to wind it around again.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Ok! I will give that a try!!!!

The strike does stop if I put pressure on the rack hook. So as you mention the spring, in the picture, I circled in red, awhile back it was not attached to anything, I guessed where it should be, do you think it should attach in a different place? And I can try to wind it around again.
I tried to wind the spring tighter. So far it doesn’t seem to have done anything. I did another video just to show that it just keeps chiming even with the pendulum stopped and laying on its back,. I don’t understand how it keeps going like this!
Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
It keeps striking because the stop tab is simply being pushed aside by the pin on the wheel. I'm assuming since the strike did stop when you applied pressure to the rack, that is the function of the spring I circled in green. It is supposed to apply enough pressure on the rack again the rack hook, that the pin can not push the stop tab aside. You don't show a photo of where you attached the spring on the rack. The video only shows the front where it clips over the rack. It doesn't show where the other end is attached. A photo might show if the spring is attached correctly. A picture of the spring itself might help as well to figure out if it is broken.

Last edited:

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
With the amount of pressure needed to prevent the tab from being pushed aside by the pin on the wheel, I would think the spring would have to be much higher up on the rack than it is now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-