Help Pendulum clock chimes 15+ times

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Hello, My name is Stacey this is the first time I am posting. I do not know very much about clocks. My parents have a few clocks and I am trying to help get 2 of them going again. Both were in a repair shop for a very long time and we don't want to do that again.
This clock was doing fine for about 8 months and then it started stopping, I couldn't seem to get the beat right. Then suddenly after trying to adjust it again, it kept going. When we wound it, it started chiming 15+ chimes on the hour and half hour. I opened it up and looked online to try to figure out what might be the problem. In my pictures the Blue arrow is to show the mechanism that doesn't seem to go all the back even at 12:00. It just goes back about 4 clicks. then... The red arrow is to show the spot where the mechanism seems to drop off and the clock keeps chiming. I don't know if there is something broken or missing. I can send different pictures if needed. Any help will be appreciated as I would love to get this running for my parents.
Thank you
Stacey IMG-0900.JPG Clock#1.jpg

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Hello Stacey,
The rack (with all of the teeth) may be bent. There should be a hook about where your red arrow is. This hook is meant to drop into the spaces between the teeth as the gathering pallet (the round part with the 3 pins) gathers the rack. Once the rack is gathered, the hook drops over the end of the rack and the striking will stop. I may be way off since I'm not familiar with this particular movement.
It is hard to see from the photos as there is more background lighting.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Hello Stacey,
The rack (with all of the teeth) may be bent. There should be a hook about where your red arrow is. This hook is meant to drop into the spaces between the teeth as the gathering pallet (the round part with the 3 pins) gathers the rack. Once the rack is gathered, the hook drops over the end of the rack and the striking will stop. I may be way off since I'm not familiar with this particular movement.
It is hard to see from the photos as there is more background lighting.
Thank you for responding. I am adding more pictures and I also have a video to add. On the new picture with a red arrow, that little wire Was off so I hooked it back on, but I was guessing how it went. I tried to find pictures on internet.

D92FA7E3-267F-4EFA-BC19-1A500F726AAA.jpeg 4AB66ED0-5217-4301-9102-1C1B78338A3A.jpeg 4DA04436-3C06-4D75-94EB-D2B41FDE2F0B.jpeg

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
YouTube your video, make it public and post the link here.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your blue arrow points to what we call the gathering pallet. To me, it sounds like your pallet is not in the optimal position to synchronize with the rack hook, which holds the rack (tooth) in position. You could try turning it a little, and see if that helps. It should gather one tooth, and then the hook drops down to hold things while the pallet spins around for the next tooth.

disciple_dan

Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Question: Is the rack spring-loaded toward the snail and the gathering pallet pins are pushing against the spring power while the pallet pins hold it in check?

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
It appears that the warn lever is not catching the pin on the warning wheel to stop the strike. This would be the y shaped lever they straddles the gathering pallet. It looks adjustable.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The hook hangs at the end of the rack. See if you can press it down by hand, and whether that stops the strike.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
It appears that the warn lever is not catching the pin on the warning wheel to stop the strike. This would be the y shaped lever they straddles the gathering pallet. It looks adjustable.
In that case - is your striking exactly on the hour, or about 5 minutes earlier? If so, it would keep striking until the spring ran down completely.
I'd go for something like the rack hook not falling completely or the rack not contacting the snail properly.

Smee

Jun 3, 2021
Country
Hello,
Pushing it straight down doesn't seem to stop it, however if I push it straight back (lightly) then it stops.
I know this might sound strange, but when I got my grandpa's clock going the hand nut that was on it was not correct and wouldn't tighten the hands to the mechanism properly. I had the same issue with continually gonging too many times. As soon as I put the correct hand nut on and tightened it down, the correct gonging has happened everytime since. Don't know if this will help but might be something to consider

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
I know this might sound strange, but when I got my grandpa's clock going the hand nut that was on it was not correct and wouldn't tighten the hands to the mechanism properly. I had the same issue with continually gonging too many times. As soon as I put the correct hand nut on and tightened it down, the correct gonging has happened everytime since. Don't know if this will help but might be something to consider
Thank you! I will appreciate it and will look at that!

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Regarding my last post, before I did anything, I realized that now the rack isn't moving. I must have done something when I was "lightly" pushing in what I think is the hook.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Regarding my last post, before I did anything, I realized that now the rack isn't moving. I must have done something when I was "lightly" pushing in what I think is the hook.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
I am not sure if I should start a new post, or continue here, However, I could really use some advise on this clock! I had the clock sitting and balanced. It tipped forward and I caught it. The minute hand did get bent.I straightened the minute hand and now nothing works. I can spin the minute hand slowly around and the only thing that happens is that the hook lifts. The rack doesn’t move, the gather pallet doesn’t move, the strike doesn’t move. I don’t understand what happened.
any advise would be appreciated!
Thank you
Stacey

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Looking at your past photos, the strike is pretty much unwound. Wind the springs and see if that gets it going.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Looking at your past photos, the strike is pretty much unwound. Wind the springs and see if that gets it going.
Wow! Thank you so much! I didn’t even think of that… now back to chiming wrong amount of strikes.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
What number of blows does it strike when it should be: 11, 12, 1 and 2?
It doesn’t seem to matter. At the top of the hour it starts striking and will strike continuously for about 20 minutes. At the 1/2 hour, it will start striking and will strike continuously for about 20 minutes.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
When not at the hour nor half hour, the rack hook should be in the down position at the end of the rack. In this position, there should be (as an extension of the hook) a finger that will catch a pin on the side of a wheel to keep the strike wheels still. About 2 min. or so before the hour and half hour, a lever will lift and release that pin only to be caught by another lever and hold it (warn) AND the rack will drop. No striking yet but it is all set. At the top and bottom of the hour, that second lever then releases the pin and allows the strike. Striking continues until the hook reaches the end of the rack and drops once again catching the pin (with that extension/finger thus stopping the strike wheels. There might be two separate wheels each with a pin doing the start and stop.
You can slow the strike speed by touching the fan and observe what's going on. Something may be worn, bent or missing.

Good luck, Vernon

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If you lightly lift up the edge circled in orange will that stop the strike? There should be a pin on a wheel that hits the flat plate on the end of the arm to stop the strike. If lifting it does stop the strike, then it appears the rivet circled in blue might have allowed the arm to slip down. Looks as if the arm could be pushed up. However, if lifting the edge doesn't stop the strike, I wouldn't do any adjustments to it just yet until the actual problem is identified.
IMG-0900.JPG

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
A video of what is happening would sure help. Post to Youtube and link here for us.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
A video of what is happening would sure help. Post to Youtube and link here for us.
There is a video in post #8. It shows the rack is fully gathered and the rack hook in place, but the train doesn’t stop. The stop pin is in the wheel, from the second video in post #9, so I suspect the stop detent isn’t in the right position.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
It doesn’t seem to matter. At the top of the hour it starts striking and will strike continuously for about 20 minutes. At the 1/2 hour, it will start striking and will strike continuously for about 20 minutes.
In that case it probably strikes until it reaches the start of the warning sequence ready for the next strike ...

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
... so there is something wrong with the warning lever as TJ will have said - the detent on the warning lever is missing the pin on the wheel.
I wonder what the end of the lever, where it is raised from the cannon pinion looks like? Maybe a pic of this with the hour wheel removed would be good.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If you open the video in YouTube, you can change the speed of the video with the gear icon in the top right corner. In slow motion, you can then see the pin in the wheel spinning around, but not hitting the rack hook detent. The pin is also visible in this photo. But, there is a second pinned wheel next to it, so it may be that one is not hitting a detent like it should. I think Vernon suggest this in post # 10.
4DA04436-3C06-4D75-94EB-D2B41FDE2F0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
In regards to post #24 -Tracerjack, Yes, if I lift that lever circled in orange, it does stop the strike. I do not know how to adjust the rivet, would you be willing to tell me how to do this?
In regards to post # 28 Mike Phelan, so far I haven't taken anything apart except to take off the hands. I believe that is where the hour wheel is located right behind the snail? I tried to take the snail off but I was afraid I would break it if I tried to pull to hard. I would be happy to remove this if you could tell me how, please.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
You might be able to hold the portion to the left of the rivet while you apply upward force with your thumb on the portion to the right of the rivet. If you can’t get a good grip on it while in place, you can remove the black, C shaped clip on the brass sleeve that is below the green circle. Pull the clip off, and the whole lever should slip off the post. It may take some maneuvering to get it off. Once off, you should be able to get a better grip on it and move the upper arm slightly upward simply by pushing it. It would be nice if you could move the arm while the lever is in place, because then you could easily check if you moved it enough or too much. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right. If bending things is out of your comfort zone, you’ll need to take it to a professional.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I haven't taken anything apart except to take off the hands. I believe that is where the hour wheel is located right behind the snail? I tried to take the snail off but I was afraid I would break it if I tried to pull to hard. I would be happy to remove this if you could tell me how, please.
OK - earwig-oh, as they say. The hour wheel is indeed attached to the snail so to remove it, the former needs to come off. It's will he held on by a washer and some sort of a clip which is held in place by the minute wheel; this is the wheel next to the hour wheel/snail.

To remove it, you'll need to turn the hands so the snail isn't covering up the minute wheel, and we'll see what happens then.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Thank you both so much! I have taken things apart and attached pictures. I do not mind bending things, however, I could not even budge the lever. I tried using 2 large tweezer and pulling the 2 levers apart, no luck. so I am attaching pics of front and back. I am trying to put a video on you tube. will let you know if I succeed!

IMG-7079.jpg IMG-7076.jpg IMG-7074.jpg IMG-7070.jpg IMG-7069.jpg IMG-7067.jpg IMG-7065.jpg IMG-7064.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think your video is upside down, but the rack hook is not holding the rack in place. You might just need to turn the gathering pallet on its arbor until it does.

Dad&MomsClocks

Jul 11, 2021
Country
Y
I think your video is upside down, but the rack hook is not holding the rack in place. You might just need to turn the gathering pallet on its arbor until it does.
The video is sideways, And it is laying on its back. I apologize for that! I did’t even think of how that may look.
Thank you though, I will give that a try as well!

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
In that last video, the rack hook isn't on the movement. It was taken off to try and spread the arms.
IMG-7069.jpg

Last edited:

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
The end of the lever just removed (circled) looks like it has quite a bit of wear. This could be part the issue. The pin could have some damage too.

InkedIMG-7065_LI.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The end of the lever just removed (circled) looks like it has quite a bit of wear. This could be part the issue. The pin could have some damage too.

View attachment 672070
Good detecting. Perhaps the rack hook should be put back, then when the strike begins, slow the fan down with finger pressure. With things slowed down, perhaps then the OP can see why the pin is not caught when the last tooth is gathered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-