• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Solved Pendulum attachment Kieninger

Johndwilson

Oct 10, 2020
Country
Hi. I've bought a long case Kieninger clock which was working. In the course of transit, whilst the weight driven clock mechanism is still operating (rapid ticking, clock hands moving, and movement of the arm to which the pendulum indirectly attaches) , the pendulum will no longer attach successfully to regulate the speed of the mechanism. Being unfamiliar with the parts that should be present, I'm concerned that the part to which the end of attachment arm may have sheared or similar.

Conversely I may be configuring the attachment incorrectly and ask posts are fine!

Photos attached of the rear of the mechanism.

Presently the pendulum hangs limply when attached and halts the mechanism.

Guidance to this novice appreciated Inc any photos of how it should look or parts that might replace /resolve the issue.

20201010_130015.jpg 20201010_130619.jpg 20201010_125934.jpg 20201010_125946.jpg

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your suspension spring broke in transit. Try to get the upper piece out (tapered pin can be removed) and measure it. Then check it against those in your country's supply stores to get the same size. This will be an easy fix, so no worries. The curved part of the pendulum hanger will attach to the suspension spring, and then all will be fine.
Another option would be to visit your local clock repairman to get a spring from him. All repairmen have an assortment of them.

Last edited:

Johndwilson

Oct 10, 2020
Country
Your suspension spring broke in transit. Try to get the upper piece out (tapered pin can be removed) and measure it. Then check it against those in your country's supply stores to get the same size. This will be an easy fix, so no worries. The curved part of the pendulum hanger will attach to the suspension spring, and then all will be fine.
Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply. Can you direct me to an image of what such an item would look like so that when I search online for a replacement I can be sure what I'm looking at and have found the right part?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I just modified my first post, and included a link to suspension springs from Meadows and Passmore which I think is closest to you.
By the way, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!

Johndwilson

Oct 10, 2020
Country
I just modified my first post, and included a link to suspension springs from Meadows and Passmore which I think is closest to you.
By the way, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!
Many thanks again. I've located them online so will measure up as you suggest.

Delighted to join the forum. Was fortunate to get a long clock recently, after many years of window shopping, and am keen to learn more about their correct configuration /maintenance.

Johndwilson

Oct 10, 2020
Country
Update. I successfully installed the suspension spring, which was indeed best easy.

Holding the clock with the weights attached, the mechanism did operate . However, having put the mechanism back in the long case, the mechanism does not operate.

Using a spirit level, I've confirmed that the mechanism is level.

Any suggestions on lines of enquiry to pursue and possible causes are welcomed.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
In the how to section at the top of the forum, click on "beat setting 101". That might be the issue.

Johndwilson

Oct 10, 2020
Country
In the how to section at the top of the forum, click on "beat setting 101". That might be the issue.
PERFECT!!!

The clock is working again, it's beat is restored and it is keeping time! Thank you so much for your assistance.

Now I have to get the three bar chime working, but will search through the how-to threads first. Am also enjoying watching the National Watch & Clock Museum youtube videos. Learning lots.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Now I have to get the three bar chime working, but will search through the how-to threads first.
Good for you! I think you've caught the bug :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilotken
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-