Pendule Japy Freres rosewood case mantel clock c. 1840- c. 1850

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Just opened this clock arriving from France. The case has a squat look, but is still nicely proportioned. 13" H X 9.5" W, dial numerals 4" in diameter. Rosewood veneer with understated inlaid accents. The dial is painted wood with tarnished brass numerals (the case was made with no dial door), and arrow hands. There was a diamond shaped cartouche on the dial which is now missing. A nice clock that was well used, but not necessarily abused.

The movement has a Japy Freres stamp with no date. But also is stamped Barbot Paris, likely who finished the movement. There is a Barbot listed in Loomes, dates given c. 1840 - c. 1850. The dates fit in with the ripple molding used on the case, which was popular worldwide on clock cases in the 1840's. The movement is mounted with screws through 3 ears or tabs. One of the screw holes is stripped out. Silk thread suspension missing the thread, but the pendulum remains. Came with a key that is entirely too large for the winding squares, and the case was taped profusely. I was able to cut the tape and use "Goo-Gone" to help peel off the tape and retain the finish with no further damage.

A little dingy, but good to clean and restore. A type not seen too much here in the USA, and priced inexpensively considering it's vintage and purity.

DSCN7075.JPG DSCN7076.JPG DSCN7077.JPG DSCN7078.JPG DSCN7079.JPG DSCN7080.JPG DSCN7081.JPG DSCN7073.JPG DSCN7074.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
A very nice little clock, I like it and would happily have bought it. It should look very fine when it's cleaned up. Congratulations!

JTD

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thank you. The movement stamps are difficult to photograph, they are small (1/4" in diameter). The movement is one of the smaller types, the plates are 3 1/4" in diameter.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi Chris,

I’ll second that - a very nice clock indeed! I actually remember seeing it listed on Ebay, but I didn’t bid because of the poor photographs, which really didn’t do it justice. Glad you saw its full potential. Given the silk thread suspension, I think the date can be narrowed down to 1830-1840 - 1850 seems a bit too late as that’s when the suspension spring took over on all French movements.

Regards.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
You got that one then, I like it, nice and understated.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
An unusual one and a nice case. I don't recall seeing that Japy mark before as it looks to be Medaille d' Or but includes BREVETTE. Your dating looks about right Chris.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi Chris,

I’ll second that - a very nice clock indeed! I actually remember seeing it listed on Ebay, but I didn’t bid because of the poor photographs, which really didn’t do it justice. Glad you saw its full potential. Given the silk thread suspension, I think the date can be narrowed down to 1830-1840 - 1850 seems a bit too late as that’s when the suspension spring took over on all French movements.

Regards.
I've been looking for a clock like this for a few years. I realize it's not very rare or perhaps not the most desirable. But for some reason the case I find attractive. So a good find for me. I think most of the clocks in my collection are from the second quarter of the 19th century. I'm very comfortable with clocks from this time frame.
Here is another one that was in the USA, only it may be post-1850.
This French clock was inspired by 19th c. English bracket clocks.

You got that one then, I like it, nice and understated.
Yes the seller had a "buy it now" of 125 Euro. As Alfred E. Neuman said, "Cheap".

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Just opened this clock arriving from France. The case has a squat look, but is still nicely proportioned. 13" H X 9.5" W, dial numerals 4" in diameter. Rosewood veneer with understated inlaid accents. The dial is painted wood with tarnished brass numerals (the case was made with no dial door), and arrow hands. There was a diamond shaped cartouche on the dial which is now missing. A nice clock that was well used, but not necessarily abused.

The movement has a Japy Freres stamp with no date. But also is stamped Barbot Paris, likely who finished the movement. There is a Barbot listed in Loomes, dates given c. 1840 - c. 1850. The dates fit in with the ripple molding used on the case, which was popular worldwide on clock cases in the 1840's. The movement is mounted with screws through 3 ears or tabs. One of the screw holes is stripped out. Silk thread suspension missing the thread, but the pendulum remains. Came with a key that is entirely too large for the winding squares, and the case was taped profusely. I was able to cut the tape and use "Goo-Gone" to help peel off the tape and retain the finish with no further damage.

A little dingy, but good to clean and restore. A type not seen too much here in the USA, and priced inexpensively considering it's vintage and purity.

View attachment 577562 View attachment 577563 View attachment 577564 View attachment 577565 View attachment 577566 View attachment 577567 View attachment 577568 View attachment 577569 View attachment 577570
Your 2 recent acquisitions are quite nice! Following you posts, I have to say you have a wonderful "eye".

As you know, ripple molding was quite popular and used not just on clock cases, but many pieces of case furniture as well as tables and picture frames. Must have been quite popular in the US. For a while, was applied to many things.

American manufacturers made rather extensive use of ripple molding on clock cases during roughly the same time period you suggest above for your French clock. Forestville/JC Brown is the best know for this, but clocks by other makers including Welch, Ingraham, E&A Ingraham and Jerome, and others, did as well. I have clocks by NY assemblers with ripple molding, too. The amount used might be rather limited as on your French clock, or extensive and quite, I think, exuberant, serving as the most prominent decorative element. Finally, I have American stick barometers with ripple molding.

ripple 1.jpg ripple 2.jpg ripple 3.jpg ripple 5.jpg

In my mind, it made sense for the American clock maker and paralleled the move from clocks requiring work by hand to made more by machine creating a relatively affordable but stylish clock produced in large factories. The molding was created by machine and hence could be made in large volume and probably relatively cheaply. Really dressed up mainly the front of a clock case (what you saw) that was typically of simple construction.

Enjoy your recent purchases.

Sorry for the hijack.

RM

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
I don’t remember seeing a wooden face on a French mantle clock. It certainly adds to the overall design. And those arrow hands ...
Great find!

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayjayclox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool