• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Pegwood

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Teaclocks,

What tree does Pegwood come from
Most of it in the catalogues is called orangewood, but you can get beech or hornbeam as well. I guess anything with a close, straight grain could be used.

Regards,

Graham

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
It depends on where you buy it. I've seen at least a half-dozen species including those already shown. Orangewood sticks used in doing manicures are easy to find, inexpensive, and work really well. Same with the dowel sticks available at any craft store. This is another one of those things where going with the big-name Swiss stuff is a waste of money. It's a stick. For watches I use toothpicks. They're free.

Glen

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Bamboo Skewers work well I think. I use them in a cordless drill with a sheet of coarse sandpaper nearby to clean and re-point. One Skewer can go a long way and I don't have to keep changing them out of the drill chuck.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I like bamboo also. It's getting harder to find though. You have to look around to find bamboo skewers and chopsticks these days. A few years back they were all bamboo. Willie X

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Hi roughbarked,

The trouble with matchsticks, apart from being made of relatively soft wood, is that they're sometimes slightly waxed, which can end up in the pivot holes.

Regards,

Graham
That is true of what are known as waterptoof matches but I didn't say to use those. While one might carve several matchcticks before finding one strong enough to do the work, I've never used a waxed one. If at all I prefer to would use the longer matchsticks mean to be used to light barbecues with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent