• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Pegwood sticks

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
Where does one find 6mm pegwood sticks? Out of the most common suppliers, only S.LaRose carries the 6mm size. Unfortunatly that size is on back order. I did find some at another supplier, (Jewelers something), but it would cost over $40.00 for two bundles.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Greg

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
Where does one find 6mm pegwood sticks? Out of the most common suppliers, only S.LaRose carries the 6mm size. Unfortunatly that size is on back order. I did find some at another supplier, (Jewelers something), but it would cost over $40.00 for two bundles.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Greg

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
What about wooden chopsticks? They are not "official" pegwood, but when sharpened they work pretty good and are about the right size. Also very cheap... free at your local Chinese restaurant (with a meal, of course).

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I have used chop sticks, and bamboo skewers in the past, but feel that pegwood suits my needs better.

Thanks
Greg

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Hi glr1109

I do woodwork and so have a lot trimmings laying around. In an old reference it stated that dogwood was the preferred wood for pegwood, but if a wood type is listed in advertisements it's usually orange wood. I don't know what type of pegwood I do have, but it's quite a bit softer than dogwood. I've been using scrap trimming for my larger pegwood needs (it is less convenient than sticks that are already round). I've found that sugar maple works good. It's white, the grain is fine and even, it's actually harder than the pegwood I have, and it resists breakage. I don't know if it is because I can get a better grip on the larger and not quite round stick, but if I clean a hole with pegwood and then re clean with maple it seems to get more dirt out (but not vice-versa). I've been thinking of posting a question to see if anyone else has used different types of wood and what the results were, but I never have.

Well anyway, after rambling for a while my point is that you might check at a cabnetmakers shop if you can't find actual pegwood. Another possibility is basswood, which is available at almost any hobby, craft, or art supply store. Or if you would like to try some maple I could send some to you (I don't think I have my e-mail listed, but if you private message me I'll get it).

I think the desireable qualities for pegwood would be those I listed above, so other types of wood that I think should work would include apple and possibly pear (although it's not as white), and there are probably others but I haven't spent much time contemplating it. I would avoid softwoods (conifers like pine and spruce, because I suspect the resins and other constituents might cause a problem) and for the same reasons I would avoid any wood that was very aromatic. I would also avoid wood that is brittle and/or susceptible to splitting (ash for example), coarse grained wood (like oak), and soft hardwoods (balsa).

D

David Holk

Don,

I do, but they aren't quite 6mm. The last time I was in Dollar Tree (every thing is a dollar), I picked up a box of 1,500.

David

D

Doug

ROUND TOOTHPICKS DO A GREAT JOB. THAT IS ALL I HAVE USED FOR OVER 35 YEARS. EASY TO GET AND VERY INEXPENSIVE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent