Peg wood

Ed Schmitt

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2003
Towanda, PA
Country
Region
Can you tell me if peg wood is a specific type of wood, or can say a round tooth pick or shish kebob stick be used to clean out the pivot holes in the plates.

Ed Schmitt

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2003
Towanda, PA
Country
Region
Can you tell me if peg wood is a specific type of wood, or can say a round tooth pick or shish kebob stick be used to clean out the pivot holes in the plates.

D

DrewV

Timesavers sells pegwood, although I'm not sure exactly what species of wood it is.

I use round wooden toothpicks. I've read a few sources that say wooden toothpicks are sufficient. Maybe someone will have a reason why they're not.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by Ed Schmitt:
Ed
It is dogwood - a small tree (Cornus sanguinea). Very hard, with virtually no grain - a bit like boxwood.
Things like toothpicks and kebab sticks are no good - they are of indeterminate variety of wood and may be treated with chemicals, but proper pegwood is freely available from the usual suspects, so no problem.
HTH

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Schmitt

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2003
Towanda, PA
Country
Region
Thanks everyone. I have used the round tooth picks in the past. I was unaware what the peg wood was made from. Looking at the bamboo shish kebob sticks, I thought it would work. But I'll order some peg wood from a supplier. Thanks again

Ed

D

Doug

I have used round tooth picks for 35 years and they have served me well.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by Doug:
I have used round tooth picks for 35 years and they have served me well.
Hi Doug
I wasn't getting at you - it is just that at least I know that pegwood is probably OK, but toothpicks may be different to those that you use successfully - in fact, I am not even sure where I could get them from here!

Last edited by a moderator:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Do NOT use bamboo kebab sticks. The open and hard grain of the bamboo will actually scratch brass and make a mess of a pivot hole.

John Hubby

PS: "Some" round cocktail toothpicks are made of fine grained hardwood and work as well as the purchased pegwood. However, the random variety of round toothpicks, especially those that are cut square with rounded ends, is very suspect and are usually much too soft as has been stated here.

Cathy in Hawaii

Feb 25, 2005
Moku Nui, Hawaii
Aloha Ed & Clock Folk,

Well, it probably depends on the toothpick. Sometimes we get really hard round ones which work well, other times - even the same brand - just doesn't seem to work too well, but they can always be used as toothpicks and invest in another box. It is the same with wooden chopsticks, sometimes they are the right consistancy and other times they aren't. Store bought pegwood is probably the most consistant, but if you don't have anything else, then the toothpicks, skewers and chopsticks would probably be better than nothing.

If you just have a small order to send in for clock parts, you could always add pegwood on it to get the order over the "minimum" amount. That would work a couple times, then you'd probably have a lifetime supply of pegwood.

A hui hou,
Cathy

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Cathy, I'm glad to see you back on board. I was afraid you had abandoned us. I always enjoyed reading your posts. They are most knowledgeable and inventive.

Welcome back, :)

Missy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent