Peerless Triple Chime Mantel Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by chimeclockfan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a nice little mantel clock made by Mathias Bäuerle GmbH of St. Georgen, Germany. This one came from eBay for a low price. It is signed 'Peerless 1 Million'. The clock was retailed by Oldfields Ltd. of Liverpool - it is possible they or another British firm made the case as it looks nothing like a domestic German clock. It should play Westminster/Winchester/Whittington chime melodies on rod gongs however this clock suffered a spring failure in the past and subsequently isn't in working order. On a brighter note the case is in good shape and has a nice swirled grain. The rod gongs sound superb, aided in part by the use of a little soundboard inside the case. The chime drum had been previously removed although it looks fine.

I've been after a Peerless mantel clock for years so I was eager to take this one in - even if it needs repairs. 5 mangled drum teeth and a broken spring, clearly not an easy repair. By this point I've grown to accept that clocks can and will break down or stop working for any reason and it's best to look into having them repaired when practical.

2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really like the looks of this one, nice. Please post again when you get it working well.

Excuse the novice question, but can you please explain or post a pic of what a soundboard is and what it does. Thanks.
    Don

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On this clock, the soundboard is a wooden board that's sandwiched between the chime block and the lower case panel. This board gives the chimes a deeper, richer sound because a thicker, stronger wood surface helps the chime block and rods resonate. Without the board, the chime's sound would be quieter and tinnier. The soundboard also raises the chime block's position so the hammers can reach the gong rods.

4. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you sir, makes perfect sense.