Pearl GF clock 1161-853A 114 cm 1984 questions

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by THTanner, Dec 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been asked to clean up this 1161 with an 84 as a date stamp. A previous repair person - about 10 years ago - serviced the clock, but the chime and strike stopped working about 2 years later and have not worked since.

The time and strike weights are the usual 6 1/2 pounders, but the chime weight on this clock is 11 1/2 pounds and about 50% larger diameter - and the chimes still will not initiate or sustain. I have never seen a GF clock where the visible weights are not the same size.

I am wondering if the 1984 date means this may be a Hermle with the plated pivots?
    What is the proper weight for the chime side?
    The pivots and pivot holes are black and most of the pinions have black grease all over them as well.

The shop that serviced it locally has not been in business for several years and the owner has no idea what was done for a house call at a cost of about 200 dollars. My guess is a squirt or two of something and then they swapped out the chime weight to try to overcome the damage and make it run?

The clock keeps great time the owners says.

The replacement movements are about 450. I am not sure this owner will want to go that route - especially at Christmas time. They are fond of the clock, but said they don't want to put much more into it. Perhaps a cheaper movement with just the Westminster could be swapped if the dial posts would match up?

IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    THT,

Wiggle the two control disc on the front of the movement, any movement, there's yer problem. And, at 35 years old there will be many more problem now and in the not to distant future.
    Mark can give you the scoop on those weights. The weight sounds over by a couple of pounds and different size shells, I don't think so?

Note, IMOE the average customer is way more likely to spend money before Christmas than any other time of the year. Assuming you can get it back home before Christmas.

Willie X

THTanner likes this.
  3. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    If they don't want to put much into it. Then why are you wasting your time. Either way it cost money and so many think this industry owes them something. And plus it's hard to reinforce the public's opinion of an honest repairman, when they have been ripped off by another.

THTanner likes this.
  4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am hoping to work that angle :) - the first conversation was not very positive.

5. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 MARK A. BUTTERWORTH, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    The chime and time weights should be 10 lbs. Strike 7.75 lbs. Yes the pivots are plated. Our price for the movement is much less than the price you mentioned.

6. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Mark -

I was including the cost of the movement, one weight for the chime side, shipping, taxes and installation. It sounds like perhaps all three weights would be required.

I will check with you next week -

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Wow,
    That customer is getting a Christmas present and doesn't eben know it! That job would be a little more than double that in my shop.
    Willie X

8. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 breeze, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    I would not waste my time trying to sell this job! If you try to change movements you will regret it later as its not as easy as you think. Will you new dial fit the dial surround in the case?

Listen to what Willie X said. He does the job right one time at the the right price and is done with it, you need two jobs like this and you still made less than Willie X did doing it one time, and Willie did not end the day beating his head against the wall.

I had a potential customer call me to repair his GF clock, after a long conversion he stated " I don't see why it has to be so expensive I know it's 90% labor" My replay was " that's where you and I disagree. It's 10% labor and 90% knowing what to do and how to do it. Why don't you just repair it your self"? Customer "I don't know how to fix it" Me " I know, that's why you called me" Think I got the job? For every 100 hvac repair people there is at best one clockmaker, do they call the hvac people and say they don't want to spend much money?

In this case do what you think is right.

Breeze

9. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

10. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    English is not my first language and I think I see where my note is a bit confusing. I should have put a comma before "and installation" - or perhaps said "plus installation"?.
    My total quote is 600 - still less that your rate - but it works for me.

The seat board will require no work, the dial will not be changed, the moon gear has to be swapped and the hammers adjusted for the chime rods. Pretty sure nothing else will need to be done?

11. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    " I don't see why it has to be so expensive I know it's 90% labor" My replay was " that's where you and I disagree. It's 10% labor and 90% knowing what to do and how to do it. Why don't you just repair it your self"? Customer "I don't know how to fix it" Me " I know, that's why you called me" Think I got the job? For every 100 hvac repair people there is at best one clockmaker, do they call the hvac people and say they don't want to spend much money?
    =================

This reminds me of the heart surgeon who took his car in for an engine rebuild. The mechanic says "You fix human hearts and make a million a year. I fix car hearts so you can get to work and struggle to earn 100 grand."

The surgeon looked at the mechanic and said "When you can tear my engine down and repair it while it is still running you will make a million too.."

;)

breeze likes this.
  12. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    THT, I apologize for my rant I did not mean to offend you or anyone else reading this thread. I did misunderstand what you intended to do to serve your customer.

Breeze

THTanner likes this.
  13. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    no harm - no foul - had I gone the route of switching to a different movement your comment was right on - been there, done that, probably won't do it again :)