Paul Pequegnat Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by sjamesontario, Jul 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sjamesontario

sjamesontario New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have been going through my Dad's collection of clocks and pocket watches. In addition to Arthur Pequegnat clocks, which I have been able to find some information on, I have come across a Paul Pequegnat Pocket Watch made in Berlin, Ontario. Hoping that maybe someone can provide some information on it. Thanks!

View attachment 350191 View attachment 350192 View attachment 350193

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  3. onsite

onsite Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 6, 2011
    CehNehDeh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 onsite, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    I would say Swiss made by Tavannes going by the 1904 patent date.

Canadian watch seller (Darlor) has a watch that looks exactly like yours which he says is 16s Tavannes and says the "swiss moustache" dates it to 1915.

EDIT: I mis-remembered, he actually said: This is a rare "moustache" train bridge 16 size pocket watch. This Tavannes/Cyma Swiss movement with serial #9517027 dates to 1915.

In May of 1916 Berlin Ontario voted by a slim margin to change it's name to Kitchener because of the connotations of Berlin. (google)

The Father, Joseph Pequegnat was a clockmaker then went into making bicycles, looks like the boys were selling watches.

That's all I recall but google should get you lots of info on the whole family.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The basic ebauche may have been supplied by Tavannes/Cyma, but with two unique patent features, I would think this watch was made/finished by Pequegnat. They might have persuaded Tavannes to incorporate their patent into an example for them.

It looks like there is enough information to look up the patent engraved on the barrel bridge.

5. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since it is not American, I'm going to move this to the European (and other) Pocket Watch Forum.

6. onsite

onsite Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 6, 2011
    CehNehDeh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, onsite :) That's resolved the patent for the winding/setting mechanism. In many ways I find the patent relating to the regulator adjustment more interesting - I have never seen an offset cam wheel like that one! The inscription on the balance cock says "US patent applied for" - I wonder if it was granted, and I wonder exactly what was being patented.

8. onsite

onsite Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 6, 2011
    CehNehDeh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It must be the cam itself, I just did a quick google images search and did not see that notation or the cam on any other Tavannes.

I really know nothing about Tavannes I just use that 1904 thing to ID them when doing case research.

I do like the look of that moustache.:)

9. sjamesontario

sjamesontario New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to everyone for the information. I'm new to antique clocks and watches. Trying to educate myself on a rather large collection of items. Some are easier to track down the others so I appreciate any help. With regards to this particular watch I've been able to figure out this is a Canadian watchmaker from Berlin, Ontario (now Kitchener). The watch would be pre 1916, as that's when the name change of the town took place. I'm not sure if Paul Pequegnat is related to Arthur Pequegnat - maybe his brother?

10. onsite

onsite Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 6, 2011
    CehNehDeh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got the Father wrong further up, Arthur, not Joseph, that's what I get for relying on memory.

There is a bit on the canclockmuseum.ca that says he came to Ontario in 1874 with his many​ brothers, sisters, and parents.

I guess you would have to get the out of print book to find out all family members.