Paul Ditisheim, Solvil, Ditis early calendar/date watch with discs

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by michael-35, Mar 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. michael-35

michael-35 Registered User

May 4, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,
    I've gone through this vintage ad. I'm looking for info about early type of date indication with two disc (prior it became the "Grande Data").
    In one site I've read Ditisheim introduced it in 1932 it followed by Helvetia in 1934 but I can't find any additional info neither a real picture or scheme of such "complication".

Anyone has additional information about that?

Pasted Graphic.jpg

2. Carlos Fandango

Carlos Fandango Registered User

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello Michael,

I too am researching these watches at the moment. I am interested in Helvetia watches and have a site dedicated to them. I believe these watches are all produced by Helvetia. Mimo/GP introduced a version in the late 30s and I have confirmed that theirs is based on the Helvetia 75 movement the same as Helvetia used in theirs. I believe Helvetia introduced theirs before 1934 as the add below mentions their "New Waterproof Watches" and their patent, this patent was published in 1932 and the ad doesn't mention the large date watch being new then.

Helvetia__1_.jpg

I also noticed today that the Ditis watch in the advert you posted looks almost exactly the same as the Helvetia one, too similar to be a co-incidence.

Helvetia__LargeDate_.jpg ditis2.jpg

I then looked at the "Shock Absorber" patented movement in the Solvil ad. Helvetia were one of the few manufacturers at the time to use shock protection in almost all their movements. It is another version of the Helvetia 75 with the later bridge configuration. The pic below does not have the shock protection fitted.

Ditis75A.jpg 75a.jpg

So Solvil as well as Mimo/GP were using re-branded Helvetia watches for their large date watch. Helvetia seems to be the only company actually making these watches.

I've attached a few pics below of Helvetia and Mimo versions. These have the patented Helvetia shock protection and are all fitted with Helvetia 75 movements.

Helvetia.jpg Helvetia Large Date.jpg Mimo Large Date.JPG Mimo997.jpg

So the movement you want is the Helvetia 75 adapted for the large date. The bit that you need, and I would love to see too, is how they adapted it for the date wheels, unfortunately I haven't found a picture yet!

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks. Carl.

Tomxhar likes this.
  3. michael-35

michael-35 Registered User

May 4, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi Carlos,
    thanks for sharing your thoughts. It make sense, even more with the image of the caliber you posted because googling on internet I can't find the same bridge configuration to the one shown on Solvis ad. I find only the Helvetia 75 which match with both in the latest pictures.

4. Carlos Fandango

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello Michael. The movement in the Solvil advert is definitely Helvetia75 the same as in the Hevetia and Mimo/GP large date watches but with a different bridge configuration. Helvetia changed the bridge configuration on it's in house movements regularly. It's handy that Solvil pictured the movement in it's advert as otherwise I would only have the picture of the outside of the watch as a clue that it was made by Helvetia. Helvetia/General Watch Co supplied movements and whole watches to other manufacturers to re-brand regularly in the 1930s and 40s.

I think that the reason people have thought Solvil developed the large date first is because people have found an earlier advert than the Helvetia one but it is now clear that the Solvil watch was actually made by Helvetia. It's interesting to me because it also looks as if the other watches in the Solvil add also have the Helvetia movement.

Have a look at my website for more info on Helvetia movements. https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk/

5. Carlos Fandango

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    If anyone is interested in this I have recently updated my site and now have a page ref these Helvetia large date watches.

https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk/helvetia-large-date-watches

Regards. Carl.

6. Carlos Fandango

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello, just an update. I have found a Ditis branded movement which proves it is definitely the Helvetia calibre 75 and also another ad for the Helvetia Calendar watch from1934.

75ADitis.jpg

Calendar BW 1934.jpg