Marine: Patriot Chronometer Bliss #1652

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Ralph, Oct 4, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #1 Ralph, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    During WWII, the government apparently solicited private sector chronometers for the war effort. This is one I picked up a few years ago with the associated contract documents included.

It has the Bliss patent balance with wedge weights.. As the pictures show, the box is missing the two top tiers . Someone trimmed out the top edge of the lower section.

Bullard Brothers CO., Inc, supplied the chronometer to the government. They were a jewelry company in St Paul, Minnesota.

I just noticed the contract date is today or tomorrow, depending on the time zone you are in... 72 years ago.

bclock12.jpg boxc1.jpg boxc1a.jpg Chrono Contract.jpg ChronoContract2.jpg Mar23001.JPG

Ralph

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    That's great provenance, Ralph :thumb: For some reason I can't zoom on the second section of the lease document. Is that a separate photo from the top section?

The US Government paid $1 rental for the chronometer for the whole period of the war plus one year. Pretty good value for them, I would say!

They valued the piece at $350, and I assume that the second part of the lease offers that as compensation in the event of loss?

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A good candidate for the Marine Chronometer Picture Gallery?

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here are images of the 3 pages of the contract.

BullardContractPg1.jpg BullardContractPg2.jpg BullardContractPg3.jpg

Ralph

5. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for those extra images, Ralph :thumb:

Article 10 is interesting - it enables the Lessor to display in their shop window a "replacement" chronometer fo the one being leased to the Navy together with a sign stating that the original has been leased to the Navy. I guess that is the equivalent of the British practice of displaying "Makers to the Admiralty" on their premises. The Lessor had to remove the sign from their shop window when the chronometer was returned by the Navy!

It is also interesting that the whole contract seems to be a typed original ratyher than a "Roneo" type copy, whiuch would suggest that the Navy didn't produce many copies of the contract ... or am I wrong that it is an original?

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Marty, I took it differently. I understood it to mean they could display another timekeeper or instrument with a notice that they loaned their chronometer to the Bureau of Ships to support the war effort. A little marketing license.

The contract is the lessor's copy and is original. If you take another look at it, you will see the unique information is a different color. I suspect they used carbon paper or some other means to get the second copy.

Ralph

7. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    No, we took it the same - a nice little marketing payback. Considering that the Navy were paying $1 for a four year rental of a chronometer, that seems only fair :D