Patio Clock / Thermometer

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Mr. Time, Apr 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    First off, please forgive me if this post is in the incorrect section/area of the forum. If so, moderator's please move it to the correct section/area of the forum and thank you.

This is nothing spectacular or special it is just a basic clock that my wife and I purchased some years ago at Costco and I installed in our outdoor back patio.

It is a wonderful timepiece and really adds to the patio where we have had many, many family and friend gatherings, cookout's, party's, etc. and really enjoy the clocks' (and thermometer) presence.

Many have complimented on the clock and it's unique setting.

Just wanted to share it with y'all and yes I know it's not a clock of the world or street clock that the general public and view or anything as such but still just a clock that can be enjoyed by many when visiting.

2. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Alright, recently after posting about our patio clock combo thermometer, we started to notice that the clocks movement is starting to keep time slow.

So we are kicking around the idea of maybe replacing it with another like it (or close to it). But with that being said, we really like this particular style/model design which started to get me thinking that just maybe I could restore it. Mind you, yes it's just a clock with an electrical movement, etc. very basic and simple but still do-able. But yet I am considering taking it a step further on the restoration process.

Please let me explain. When I say restoration, I mean completely disassemble the entire clock and metal support. Replace the electric mechanism, repaint the entire clock along with it's metal support, maybe attempt to replace both the actual clock face & thermometer face or touch them up somehow, replace or fix the latch (which broke and appears to be made out of pewter or some other soft metal allow?) and then lastly even add soft lighting (battery LED's) to both sides of the clocks face.

Yes some may read this and just ask why spend time and money on something that you could simply replace with a new one that already has added lighting? Which is true and a good point, still I'd like to try and see what I can do.

3. PatH

PatH Registered User

Dec 5, 2014
    Very nice addition to your patio, and quite different from the usual, nondescript clock/thermometer found hanging on the back fence or wall of the house!

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    A quartz movement running slow may simply need a service but often upon pulling them apart you find that the centre has a cracked plastic part that causes the hands to slip.

5. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    What would you power the LED with?
    LEDs are power efficient but require about 100 times
    as much power as a quartz clock movement. Unless you
    run power to the case, expect to replace batteries every
    week.
    Of course you could use a wall wort and run a low voltage
    wire out to the clock or if there was some regular sun
    light, use one of those solar charging walkway lights.
    They do take direct sunnlighting but the LED can be placed
    remotely.
    Let us hope that global warming never reaches 140F
    Tinker Dwight

6. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    #6 Mr. Time, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Yea I had already looked into this and decided to do a mock test by installing a battery operated LED lighting in the clock just to see what how it would look. Basically what I did was install the LED lights inside both sides of the clock and thermometer along with batteries and it worked out great! It really looked fantastic.

What I had plan on doing was disassembling the battery operated LED light switch, soldering external wiring, making a small square hole and two smaller holes to hold the LED's switch so that you could simply just switch the lights off or no without having to open the clock to do so. Of course the LED's battery holder is attached to the back of the clock with felt adhesive within the clock. The LED's holder requires three AA batteries to operate which for me is not a problem, just change when required.

But sadly a decision has been made to not restore the clock after all and simply just replace the entire clock with another.

More about on this, as to why the decision was made to simply replace the clock, can be read here:http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?142509-Battery-Quartz-movement-DV-97268

7. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Here are a few pictures of the what the clock would have looked like with LED lighting installed "if" I would have proceeded with a full restoration. But as previously indicated, the clock will be replaced with another. Once I get the replacement clock I will, again, look into installing LED lights on it as well.