Patek vs. Vacheron

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Steve Maddox, Sep 5, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

YES!! These companies did, and still do make their own movements! They are two of the finest watch companies in the world, and have been for a very long time!

In most circles, Patek is considered more prestigious, but Vacherons are actually less common. All in all, I'd say they are very comparable in overall quality, and I think either would make a fine choice. I continue to be amazed at the scores of "high-end" watches on the market today that fetch prices comparable to nice automobiles, and I just can't comprehend why anyone would choose one of those over a time-proven product like a Patek or a Vach.

My tastes in watches tend toward solid stainless waterproof automatics, which seem to be very popular these days. I've always wanted a nice Vach within those parameters, but that's one watch I've never had.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

2. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Ron: Pateks Vs.V.C.?

Pateks in those years are primarily manual wind 18k cased watches that are quite plain looking. Superb movements, some have very cobby dials. Automatics are less common,
    all are horribly expensive. I can remember in the 90's when the price for any Patek went out of sight and just as quickly dropped like a stone. At the big regional show in Oakland, I recall panic stricken owners trying to peddle watches that were fully half-price
    off, and no one was buying. One guy I know found an 18k Patek automatic at the flea market for 50 cents. He sent it back to the Patek factory for a cleaning and a new bad looking dial which cost him $300.
    So he has $300.50 in this watch. He was offered $3000 for it and turned the guy down, ultimately selling it months later for $1500. Pateks seem to be more of a commodity than a watch.

Vacheron Constantins are all over the style
    spectrum; autos, unusual case styles,cool dials, 14k,18k, some steel and usually a lot less expensive than the Pateks. I don't know why, because they are every bit as good a timepiece, and harder to find.

Steve: My dream watch would be a 60's stainless Vacheron Constantin "Chronometre Royal",the automatic if possible.