Patek Phillippe info needed

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by tennbidder, Nov 9, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tennbidder

tennbidder New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    I have a pocket watch with a Patek Phillippe movement that was in my late father-in-law's family.

My wife's father passed away and this watch is from his estate and belonged to his grandfather who was a physician in the early 1900's.

The family needs to divide up some estate items and I am unable to find anyone locally who can provide a ballpark figure on the value of this watch.

The watch is not something they plan to sell, but if they had an approximate value, then they could divide household goods and other stuff equitably.

The face and movement is signed George H. Ford, New Haven, CT. The case is also George h. Ford and marked 14K.

The movement serial number appears to be 15910 and the case is 75868.

I'm not asking for a free appraisal just a ballpark. Any ideas ? How old?

THANKS so much.

2. tennbidder

tennbidder New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Here are the pics.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

3. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, but we can't give or discuss values on this site, please see the masthead, upper left.

Check Shugert's "Complete Price Guide To Watches" available at most book stores or libraries.

The s/n appears to be 75910 which would place it somewhere between 1885 and 1890.

4. tennbidder

tennbidder New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Sorry about the post.

I looked through the posting rules but didn't see the masthead.

I frequent a guitar discussion board where values are a frequent and lively topic, so I thought I would give it a whirl here.

THANKS and take care.

Greg in Tennessee

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    YOu have a very nice watch and I hope you do keep it in your family. The serial number on the movement corresponds to about 1885 to 1890. Its features are consistanet with that period.

The shape and nature of the movement indicate that teh rough movement was made by Vacheron and Constantin, then finished and sold by Patek.

Here is how to estimate the value.

If its about 2 inches across its a 16 size. A 16 size case weighs about 1.5 Troy Ounces. It is 14/24 pure. A scrapper gives 85% of spot. Use these factors times the price of spot gold and you have the scrap value of the case. That is what it is worth to a thief.

Shugart's "Complete Price Guide to Watches" Gives values for Patek but the current Edition is based on much lower gold pricing but is vague about whether its 14 or 18K. As a guess I would add about 1/2 of the current scrap price to the Shugart Value.

Size and condition matter. I see hairline cracks on the dial and lots of case wear. The second hands look wrong to me but good replacements are not hard to find. (It has a lovely two color dial in spite of the hairlines The movement appears a bit dull but would clean up nicely with a caring repair/restoration. As is I'd suggest that you use the lowest of the three values in Shugart as the base to add the gold correction. If you had to go out and replace your watch you might have to pay as much as 50% more than this value. These actors are for consideration with your insurance agent.

It is not "mint" in my view but its still a very nice piece. It is very much worth having overhauled if you intend to use it. If you put it into wear be sure to put it on a watch chain to prevent its being dropped.

6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmmm. Well i can tell you this much without getting into trouble.

your movement is spectacular.

Your case, while original, is what is called a "contract case" and lessens its value. Contract cases hurt value and 14k gold contract cases hurt value even more.

If I could find a watch at public auction with auction records, that matched yours, we could list it but none can be found. (By me anyway).

Send one of us a PM or email and we can help you.

Jeff Hess

7. tennbidder

tennbidder New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the information. Finding out the approximate age is nice.

There are some hairlines in the face and unfortunately the watch is not running at this time. It has been in a safety deposit box for many many years.

I have an 8 year old son and now that my father-in-law has passed away, my son can see 3 family pocket watches: his grandfather's, his great-grandfather's, and his great-great-grandfather's. That is pretty cool.

The other 2 are a Huguenin movement in a gold case and a 16S 23J Bunn Special (marked 60 hour Bunn Special dial) in a gold case.

The GGGrandfather was a physican. The GGrandfather was an Army Colonel and the Grandfather was an Aeronautical and Nuclear Engineer. Hopefully, my son can carry on the family successes!

It sounds like the PP needs cleaning , restoration and a professional appraisal.