Patek Philippe?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Kerry Chipman, May 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
  2. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement looks genuine. The case isn't signed by PP as far as I can see. If it isn't signed, it almost certainly isn't a PP case, but that doesn't mean the watch is a fake. PP sold uncased movements. I am guessing that the movement is cased as it originally was cased, and that the dial or at least the diamonds on the dial, were added then. The hands look like later replacements.

3. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the board, Kerry :)

I also have almost no doubts about the movement. It has the anglage, the plate pattern, the inscription, and the wolf's tooth wheels which typify PP movements, and it has a viable serial number which I think would date it to 1901/2. That date in turn is a reasonable match for the style of the case and the dial.

The diamonds on the dial look to me like an after-sale addition. The batons at 12 and 6 o'clock are not straight, which suggests either that they have moved or else that they were poorly affixed when made. In either case, my impression is that they are not of Patek Philippe quality, nor that of a Patek Philippe retailer. From a design perspective, I think they are clumsy for the watch and the case, although they do seem to be contemporaneous with the case.

4. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Thanks very much everyone for the responses :D.

5. tomczc

tomczc Registered User

May 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    The movement is from PP, no doubt

6. Nachtmotte

Nachtmotte Registered User

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Nachtmotte, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

...but manufactured by LeCoultre & Cie. Sorry, I didn`t want to disagree, but many brands like PATEK PHILIPPE took the oportunity to order their raw movements in Le Sentier and let it there produce, according to their wishes. So as PP until they bought/built their own plant (not long ago).
    Regards
    Antonios