Passing strike gallery clock.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by D.th.munroe, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all.
    This is actually the first gallery clock I've seen in person. And if you Google "gallery clock" all you see is dial clocks, so here we go.
    The Name is R. Gatenby and my guess is that the town was Pateley Bridge. The other option was Stoke-on-Trent and that doesn't fit whats left of the lettering.
    This will be one of my free time projects (I have too many but I enjoy it) so it will be a somewhat slow repair.
    There is a couple questions I have about it for some purists to do with repairing the wear in the pinion leaves but that will be later.
    So heres what the poor thing looked like the other day. First thing, throw that picture wire straight in the garbage. Lol
    Dan

20190118_022253.jpg 20190118_022152.jpg 20190118_022204.jpg

blindraccoon likes this.
  2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    First of all, congratulations for rescuing this 'orphan' and it should be an interesting project when you are able to get to it.

Looking at the remains of the town, I am not so sure that the first letter is part of the letter 'P'. Of course, looking at the photo is nowhere near as good as having the dial in your hand, so I may well be wrong, but from what I can see, it would be hard to make out Pateley Bridge.

Did you find a R. Gatenby working there?

JTD

3. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, yes the Richard Gatenby I found in Loomes was in Pateley Bridge and then moved to Stoke on Trent. But it is still only a guess with only a couple letters left its hard to be sure.
    Heres what I did with it this morning.

20190317_164039.jpg 20190317_164154.jpg

4. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Woops wrong button. More pics

20190317_171923.jpg 20190318_125057.jpg 20190318_125120.jpg 20190319_090526.jpg

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a lot of work, but will be well worth it. Is this a wall clock?

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the last two i found were in similar condition, and the highlighted pivot was striated/scored on both of them... BOLO (be on the lookout)

(not a photo of one of mine... just a quick example)

fusee.jpg

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, this is the one I had to bush in my latest Fusee English Dial repair too. It seems to be a weak spot.
    Uhralt

8. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you would think they would have noticed this over time and adjusted the design slightly... unless this is one of those unintended consequences of them not even thinking about the possibility that the movements would be running 100 years later...

9. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This movement appears to me to wind on the back side of the movement. I imagine going into the next room with a foot long key to wind it through the wall. Or just not a wall clock. Someone will be along shortly to help me through this quandary.

10. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's why it is called a gallery clock. Usually mounted on a wall or screen divide on the 1st floor (2nd to Americans) and overlooking the space below.

He does appear to be in Pately Bridge in late 19th Century.

Mr Loomes should know, that's where he lives!

D.th.munroe likes this.
  11. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes a bit of work lol
    Thanks Bruce and Uhralt,
    Yes that pivot is pretty bad, it must have ran dirty for a while, it will probably need a few bushings, maybe even barrel bushings.

Thank you. :)

12. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's in a bad way and good luck with restoring it. Most of these I have come across have been in public buildings mounted high up, an example is a court house with a public gallery above so access to wind from the back is easy as opposed to the front. While they are often called gallery clocks they are a type of dial clock. Most are time only so a passing strike isn't a common feature.

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is unlikely that the barrel need bushings even if there is some wear. Since the barrel has no teeth and provides the power via a chain or a gut line, there is no meshing problem if the bushings are worn. In addition, the barrel arbor is stationary, it doesn't move when the clock is running. You may however have to bush the fusee if there is some slop in its pivot holes. So far I didn't have to do this, though.

Uhralt

14. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt
    I know the barrel wouldn't normally need bushing in any fusee, the plate holes for sure are fine as is, but the barrel itself is quite floppy on its arbor, the holes are about 1 mm oversize and the arbor is quite scored on the one side as you would expect. It might be ok but I do have all the tools and correct brass for all the bushings so it won't be hard if needed. Heres a pic of the center pivot. Original size 1.48mm smallest part of the waist 1.09mm, and the hammer arm and bell mount before and almost done.

20190320_184241.jpg 20190320_095600.jpg 15532002325921792587532740597266.jpg

15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice work on the hammer arm and bell stand! The pivot looks quite typical for this kind of clock. If you have all you need to bush the barrel professionally there is nothing that speaks against it. Functionally most times it is not absolutely necessary.

Uhralt

16. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt, I may leave it but
    I do have all the stuff to do a professional job though, and I don't mean my kwm machine lol, including a large selection of old cast brass to colour match.

So this morning I burnished, not polished, the hammer arm and bell standard, and removed the rust from all the pinion leaves.
    I also have a tooth to replace. This one works, I guess, and would probably be fine but it's ugly lol.
    Dan.

20190322_131301.jpg 20190321_133748.jpg

17. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I took a bunch of pictures of the dial before starting to prep it for painting. Still trying to find a good example of the town name to recreate it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a proper paint, or at least proper looking paint for the dial? I've seen some done in auto paint but I didnt like the look of it.
    I've always used Winsor & Newton Indian ink when touching up black, so I was thinking I can use that for all the black?
    Thanks
    Dan.