Parts organization

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Organist, May 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For those who buy movements to use for parts, how do you organize the pieces? Do you group the pieces together (levers, wheels, etc), and group all those by movement? What do you use? Trays? Cabinets with lots of drawers?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I try to keep them, the movements, mostly intact.

PatH likes this.
  3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It's best to leave the movements intact as you pick them for parts.

Saving all the parts separately would be overwhelming and it won't take long to see it's the same few part/s that routinely go south on any specific type of movement.

Willie X

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sort of like cars in a junk yard, eh?

Kevin W. likes this.
  5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could put the parts movement in a bag as well, in case any small parts fall off .

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    For some movements, like Hermles, just keep the commonly used parts that are still good like: MS barrel assemblies, chain wheels, chime stop disk, pendulum hanger post and leaders of all the differing lengths, click wheels, suspension springs, etc. And, depending in the scope of your operation, there isn't much need in keeping more than a few of each of the parts. You will have way more scrap movements coming in to pick than you will jave need for good used parts. The exception might be the MS assemblies. Willie X

7. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I get the movement complete, I keep it complete. Parts that I know came from a specific clock I keep them together and labled, I have several marked by company, and kept in large plastic storage boxes. Loose unknown wheels, I store by time, strike, barrels. I have boxes for verges, escape wheels, flys, strike arms and lift arms. These boxes come in all sizes from shoe box to really large.