Parts movement turns out to be functional!

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jess tauber, Nov 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    So today I was going over my 18s Bourquin (Gallet) parts movements (I have SEVEN of them- all like this one posted here: https://mb.nawcc.org/data/attachments/391/391607-cb213d11d426bd4c2e639ccf560b70d5.jpg) when I discovered that one of them was actually functional! The stem-winding mechanism was disassembled (the gear removed because the screw holding it and its washer was too short), but the mainspring barrel and click were still in good condition. They only needed tension. I wound this with fingernails and the thing just took off. And it keeps time (at least by the hour hand still remaining- the minutes and seconds hands are off the movement). Even when the whole thing was together I couldn't wind it through the stem- the winding knob was screw-on, and it had been removed before I bought the thing, and the cross-section of the winding stem outside the movement was circular not square so I couldn't use my keys. If I can get this replaced by a normal squared-off winding stem and a longer screw put over the winding gear I should be set- everything else is shiny and good, no hairlines or chips in the dial. I even have hands for it (which I'd removed to try on the one I DO use most of the time).

Jess Tauber

PatH and viclip like this.