• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Parts for a cuckoo clock.

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
I mentioned in a thread that I posted about an hour or so ago that a friend was given a cuckoo clock with a Regula 25 movement and he asked me to look at it for him. I mentioned in that thread that I probably needed bushings and a clip for the movement.

The clock has a very nice looking case that's in good condition. The Regula 25 movement is made in Germany (as opposed to West Germany) and the weights are a newer style (it has molded holes in the weights to hook onto the chains rather than the wires welded into the weights on vintage models). I'd love to try to get it working again but I need some other parts, too.

First, it doesn't have a back cover. It is a smaller case, so the back cover is about 3 15/16" x 3 15/16". I need the gong, too, please. They can be separate or the back cover can have the gong already attached. Either is fine.

Second, it came with only one chain. The chain has 5 links per inch, so I need a set of chains that size.

Where can I find these parts? Thank you!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I mentioned in a thread that I posted about an hour or so ago that a friend was given a cuckoo clock with a Regula 25 movement and he asked me to look at it for him. I mentioned in that thread that I probably needed bushings and a clip for the movement.
The clock has a very nice looking case that's in good condition. The Regula 25 movement is made in Germany (as opposed to West Germany) and the weights are a newer style (it has molded holes in the weights to hook onto the chains rather than the wires welded into the weights on vintage models). I'd love to try to get it working again but I need some other parts, too.
First, it doesn't have a back cover. It is a smaller case, so the back cover is about 3 15/16" x 3 15/16". I need the gong, too, please. They can be separate or the back cover can have the gong already attached. Either is fine.
Second, it came with only one chain. The chain has 5 links per inch, so I need a set of chains that size.

every photo is worth 1000 words.... 'nice looking case', 'newer style', etc. simply do not tell enough of the story. the message board is designed to allow you to share lots of large clear photos... please do so?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A photo of the back plate will help with the age and condition questions.

Common cuckoo's are cheap. You might be able to buy a better clock and have less time and money invested, than to fix the one you have.

Willie X

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region

To answer your question, you can probably find these parts at Timesavers, Merritts, or Black Forest Imports. However, if it actually needs bushings, new movements are available and cheap and they come with chains. There's no good reason (in my humble opinion) to put bushings in a Regula 25 movement. Unless it's your own clock and you possess the skills to do it and you have nothing else to do. ;)

Reactions: DennyI and Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I agree with Keith but AFAIK the Regula 25 is still unavailable. Willie X

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Wasn't the "prior" Germany Hitler's Germany?
D
Germany was re-unified around 1990. It had been divided between East and West in 1945 or so. Prior to that it was one nation, run by Chancellors Bismarck and his less-successful successor Herr Hitler. Before that, Germany didn't exist as a nation (I think.) So 'Made in Germany' means that it's fairly new or quite old.

I'd fix it. These are not much different than any time/strike clock, and they're fun.

Mark Kinsler

Reactions: POWERSTROKE

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Black Forest has them on their website: Black Forest Imports-Regula 25
The availability of anything is subject to speculation. As we've all learned of late, shipments from abroad are unpredictable. Everyone is running out of everything, whether it's in their catalog or advertised on their website. Domestic conditions aren't vastly better. I'm torn between stocking up on certain items, which is sort of hoarding, or taking the chance that I'll run out of some vital screw. Black Forest Clocks, however, is good about telling you whether or not something is in stock.

I've pretty much ceased repairing clocks until I can get my hand tremor under control. It's become pretty severe, and I just got back from a two-day neurological evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic. They may or may not be able to help.

Mark Kinsler

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I hope to hear good news on this subject in the very near future.
Thank you. The treatment is 'deep brain stimulation,' which is apparently just as much fun as it sounds. I might be a candidate, but I'll try to carry on with the clock works in any case.
Mark Kinsler

Reactions: POWERSTROKE

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
So 'Made in Germany' means that it's fairly new or quite old.
Hello, Mark. Hope all is well and that you can get back to repairng clocks soon!

Under U.S. and German law, there was no requirement to use the term "West Germany" for country of origin purposes. Use of the term Germany was acceptable during the period West Germany was in existence.

So West Germany as a country of origin indicates an object was made from 1949 to 1990.

Use of Germany as a country of origin indicates the object was made from 1891 to the present day.

Some clocks will show a movement labeled West Germany and a dial labeled Germany. :)

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rod Schaffter

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
The availability of anything is subject to speculation. As we've all learned of late, shipments from abroad are unpredictable. Everyone is running out of everything, whether it's in their catalog or advertised on their website. Domestic conditions aren't vastly better. I'm torn between stocking up on certain items, which is sort of hoarding, or taking the chance that I'll run out of some vital screw. Black Forest Clocks, however, is good about telling you whether or not something is in stock.

I've pretty much ceased repairing clocks until I can get my hand tremor under control. It's become pretty severe, and I just got back from a two-day neurological evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic. They may or may not be able to help.

Mark Kinsler
Mark, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: MuseChaser

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
So if regula 25s are not available, why would you not fix them? Doesn’t make a lot of sense. They’re pretty easy to fix

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country

Hi folks--I'm sorry for not including pictures. I was experiencing some challenges with my camera when I last posted so I didn't include any pix, but I totally understand the need to see what I'm talking about, so I will get pictures in one way or another to show you. I look forward to reading your comments when I get those pix posted! Thanks for your patience!
Cat

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country

Common cuckoo's are cheap. You might be able to buy a better clock and have less time and money invested, than to fix the one you have.

Willie X
Hi Willie--Yep, you're probably right. However, I'm having a blast tinkering with the movements to see if I can fix them, so even if I buy new movements (which I might do), I'll still want to "play" with these for learning purposes. I've learned a great deal so far, but have a long ways to go to be truly proficient. Your comments and everybody else's comments have been stellar in my learning process, so thanks!
Cat

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hey Mark, I was with a deaf man during a procedure like what they are suggesting for you. He was awake through the whole thing, and we were able to communicate. He did not appear to experience any pain or discomfort. Go for it. I hope it helps!

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region

All of these parts are available from Timesavers, Merritt's, etc. for Regula 25s except, maybe, for the back panel. You'll even get to choose between brass or "antiqued" brass chains.

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
every photo is worth 1000 words.... 'nice looking case', 'newer style', etc. simply do not tell enough of the story. the message board is designed to allow you to share lots of large clear photos... please do so?
OK, I have pix, but my camera is still being a bit temperamental--some are still a bit blurry. Here's the case. It is in excellent condition. There are no markings on it.
IMG_0838.JPG
If you look closely at the flutes, you can see that the upper part is plastic rather than wood.
IMG_0818.JPG
The weights have a molded hook catch on the tops rather than the wires welded into the weights. Both also have 273 ET molded into the weights.
IMG_0832.JPG
The back panel is missing. The opening is about 4" x 4". This measurement includes the little routed out area in the bottom of the back of the clock that holds the back panel in place. It looks like a rectangle because I took the pic at an angle, but it is a square. Sorry...I'm a poor photographer!
IMG_0820.JPG
I hope this helps! I'm looking for a back panel and a gong, and I'm looking for chains for it. I'm going to get some bushings for it, too.

I understand getting a new movement, and I might ultimately do that, but in the meantime, I'd like to try to fix this one because it is a great learning experience for me. And it's fun!

Thank you!
Cat IMG_0842.JPG

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
These are all standard modern cuckoo clock parts. Try giving the entire movement including the chains a week-long soak in charcoal-lighter fluid, then remove it, let it hang to dry for a couple of days, and then hang the weights and try it.
M Kinsler

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
It's time to get some parts house catalogs. Everything you need is available there.
Some have catalogs available for download from their websites.

When you go to reinstall the movement, I suggest removing the bird from the door, attaching the bird to it's perch, then fishing the wire through the door and reattaching it after the movement is in place. One bend and done. Getting that bird to sit correctly can be a pain.

IMG_1577.JPG
(Not sure if posting this pic is allowed. I'll report myself to make sure.))

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
These are all standard modern cuckoo clock parts. Try giving the entire movement including the chains a week-long soak in charcoal-lighter fluid, then remove it, let it hang to dry for a couple of days, and then hang the weights and try it.
M Kinsler
So soak it in lighter fluid instead of using bushings? I could see some lateral wiggling of part of the drive train and part of the chime train, but I'm willing to try anything! Thanks!
Cat

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
It's time to get some parts house catalogs. Everything you need is available there.
Some have catalogs available for download from their websites.

When you go to reinstall the movement, I suggest removing the bird from the door, attaching the bird to it's perch, then fishing the wire through the door and reattaching it after the movement is in place. One bend and done. Getting that bird to sit correctly can be a pain.

View attachment 676080
(Not sure if posting this pic is allowed. I'll report myself to make sure.))
Agreed on the parts catalogs! I did look up some websites that were provided in this forum. I'll see if they have online catalogs or if I can order hard copies. Thank you!
Cat

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
To answer your question, you can probably find these parts at Timesavers, Merritts, or Black Forest Imports. However, if it actually needs bushings, new movements are available and cheap and they come with chains. There's no good reason (in my humble opinion) to put bushings in a Regula 25 movement. Unless it's your own clock and you possess the skills to do it and you have nothing else to do. ;)
Hi Keith and Willie--
I looked around for a new Regula 25 movement. I found a couple of choices at TimeSavers (Clock Repair & Replacement Parts - Movements, Motors, Rotors, Fit-Ups & Related - Mechanical Movements & Related Components - Cuckoo Clock Movements). One has a 9 1/4" drop and the other has a 7 3/4" drop. Um, what's a 'drop' and how do I measure it on my clocks? And how exact does the drop need to be?

Is the 'drop' the distance between the pendulum wire (see the photo and where I'm pointing with my little screwdriver) and the bottom of the pendulum? If so, then the movement with the 7 3/4" drop would fit one clock perfectly.
IMG_0850.JPG

I have 2 more cuckoo clocks that I'm working on. The 2nd clock has a 2 weight Regula 25 movement and the length between the pendulum wire and the bottom of the pendulum is 8 3/4". If my assumption is correct about the 'drop,' which movement would I need for this clock?

The 3rd has a 2 weight Regula 25 movement that looks like the movements in my other 2 clocks but the clock does have a 3rd weight (see the 2nd picture for the inside view). The chime is attached to the music box (which doesn't work--the barrel spins freely so it doesn't play). The length between the pendulum wire and the bottom of the pendulum is 8 3/8". Which movement would I need for this clock?
IMG_0860.JPG

The pendulum is attached to a couple of little guys sawing a log (see the 3rd picture). The third weight is attached to the waterfall and the little fellow chopping the wood.
IMG_0858.JPG

Any help is appreciated on figuring out which movements would work for my 3 clocks!

Cat

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
So soak it in lighter fluid instead of using bushings? I could see some lateral wiggling of part of the drive train and part of the chime train, but I'm willing to try anything!
Cleaning is not a cure for wear.
If cleaning a worn clock movement makes it run, the repair will be short lived.
The drop on a cuckoo clock is measured from the suspension post to near the center of the pendulum leaf.
Standard lengths are 7 3/4" and 9 1/4" for Regula 25's (30 hour run) and 7 3/4", 9 1/4", and 11 1/4" for Regula 34 (8 day run). The drop lengths will not interchange. You must have the same drop as the one coming out of the clock.
The clock with the music movement may be a problem. That is an early design and the sawing, chopping, etc. are sometimes a burden to the time train as those functions run off of an extension of the verge arbor (a wire on the front).
The music movements are made in Switzerland and many of those units are obsolete and have been for many years. Many times the music movement governor is the problem (again wear). Some of those are available as replacement parts. Bushings may be added to those but it is a complicated, delicate process.
All music movement parts are outrageously overpriced. If the music movement has a tooth missing out of the comb, the party is over. No parts available.
Some other common maladies of cuckoo clocks are:
1. The paper in the bellows for the whistles deteriorate and leak. Those can be replaced and are called bellows tops by the suppliers.
2. The plastic hands will become brittle with age. I would suggest replacing those as a matter of servicing the clock. Regula 25's take hands with round center holes. Those are sold as white and ivory. The white is a stark white.
3. If the cuckoo bird has a plastic mount, it is best to replace it with one having a metal mount as those break easily, even when new.
Others on this board recommend Tascone's video lessons. I am not familiar with those and I feel the best solution is to find a mentor.
Good luck,
Dick

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Cuckoo clocks tend to like loose bushings, but the holes have to be round. If your pivots holes are oblong, you are going to have to put bushings in. You can test them by rocking the main wheels with your thumb while watching the pivots. If they jump back and forth in a straight line, they are worn and will rob the clock of power.

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
Cuckoo clocks tend to like loose bushings, but the holes have to be round. If your pivots holes are oblong, you are going to have to put bushings in. You can test them by rocking the main wheels with your thumb while watching the pivots. If they jump back and forth in a straight line, they are worn and will rob the clock of power.
I actually have 3 clocks, all with Regula 25 movements, that I can see a little lateral movement at the 2nd wheel in both "trains". What I'll do next is look to see if there is also any vertical movement in any of them, and I'll take them apart to visually examine the pivot holes.

I've seen a youtube video where the horologist reamed the hole out and installed and filed down a bushing by hand. He is obviously an expert, but I do have most of the tools to do what he did. It's a long (about 2 1/2 hours long) youtube video, but here's the website if you were interested (
). I've seen another person use a tool that made it look really easy (see
) and I think I'd be confident in using such a tool, but I'm not quite sure where to find the tool that he is using. I also need to get a supply of the right size bushings for this movement.

In short, I do suspect that I will need to either replace the movements or install bushings on the brass plates for at least the 2nd wheel in both trains, probably in all 3 movements that I'm working on. At least they're all Regula 25 movements!

Thank you--
Cat

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country

Willie X
I'll try to get a picture of the front and back of both plates for you. I appreciate all comments and suggestions!
Cat

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Read "Bushing Using Hand Tools" under the tips and hints section at the top of the page. You probably don't really need a bushing machine. Also consider that new movements are not too expensive, and might be a better buy than the parts and tools will be.

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
Read "Bushing Using Hand Tools" under the tips and hints section at the top of the page. You probably don't really need a bushing machine. Also consider that new movements are not too expensive, and might be a better buy than the parts and tools will be.
Thank you! I am definitely considering purchasing a new movement, perhaps for two of the three clocks that I'm tinkering with. One is a musical clock and I get the idea that they are awful to fix, especially the music box. In this clock, the music box does not play. The barrel of the music box rotates freely, and I'm pretty sure it is not worth trying to fix it. Is it worth purchasing a new music box for it if I can get the clock working (or replace the old movement with a new movement)?

I also noticed that one of the non-musical clocks has a Regula 25-J movement. I don't think it is significantly different than the Regula 25 movements, but I'm not sure. Seems like it is probably just a newer movement as I see no other differences.

I'll test a bit further on the two non-musical clocks, but it is likely that I'll get new movements for those two.

Any thoughts on fixing a musical cuckoo with a Regula 25 movement and a broken music box?

Thanks--
Cat

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Repairing music boxes is generally more expensive than simply replacing them. However, it isn't always easy to get one that plays the same tune. If you are both lucky and clever, you may be able to cannibalize a new music box movement to make an older music box play again.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah, mostly only one or two tunes available now. When replacing movements, match the existing pendulum size. They come in different length configurations.

Reactions: roughbarked

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
Repairing music boxes is generally more expensive than simply replacing them. However, it isn't always easy to get one that plays the same tune. If you are both lucky and clever, you may be able to cannibalize a new music box movement to make an older music box play again.
I think I'd replace it. I have no idea what it once played, so any tune would probably work. Are the tunes timed so that the tune will play from beginning to end? Or will they start and stop whenever they 'wind down' like a musical jewelry box would when you open the lid to play and close the lid to stop playing?

Thank you!

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
Yeah, mostly only one or two tunes available now. When replacing movements, match the existing pendulum size. They come in different length configurations.
Based on your comment, I might not have much of a selection of tunes, but I'd be fine with whatever might be available. I did ask a question about timing in roughbarked's post. Any thoughts on that?
And thanks for the reminder to match the existing pendulum size! I think it is a 7 3/4 drop as the current pendulum isn't long enough for a 9 1/4" drop.
Thank you!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The music box will control when the tune stops, so it is pretty automatic. It will play the whole tune, then shut off. It might do a different tune at the half hour.

Cat Lady

Aug 12, 2021
Country
The music box will control when the tune stops, so it is pretty automatic. It will play the whole tune, then shut off. It might do a different tune at the half hour.
Good to know, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-