Parting off/Cut off tool for Sherline

S

sep

I am having a dastardly time getting my parting off or cutoff tool to work on my Sherline lathe.
I am talking about the tool that has its own holder and looks like a piece of steel sheet about 5/8" wide and 1/16" thick. It and its holder came with the lathe. I have tried sharpening it several times and still get chatter and stoppage. Any tips on the sharpening, positioning and general usage of this tool will be much appreciated!
Thanks
Stephen Phillips

S

sep

I am having a dastardly time getting my parting off or cutoff tool to work on my Sherline lathe.
I am talking about the tool that has its own holder and looks like a piece of steel sheet about 5/8" wide and 1/16" thick. It and its holder came with the lathe. I have tried sharpening it several times and still get chatter and stoppage. Any tips on the sharpening, positioning and general usage of this tool will be much appreciated!
Thanks
Stephen Phillips

Robert Gary

NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Sep:

I also have a Sherline and the same cutoff tool. I haven't experienced the problem you describe with the cutoff tool, but I am far from knowledgeable about using a lathe. From what I have read, the chatter and stoppage is a function of the speed of the lathe and the speed of the feed. It is a learning process to get the feel for it. It also is a function of the type of metal being turned.

I am scheduled to take the NAWCC lathe class this weekend. Perhaps I can better address this issue after I have completed the class.

Perhaps a more experienced lathe operator on this board will give us some guidance.

RobertG

S

sep

Hi Robert
Thanks. Yes it is a question of feed, speed, and type of metal. I am using brass tubing at the moment. I am going as slow as possible, but it seems I have either reshaped the tool on its end in the wrong way or I have it at the wrong level. I have the Sherline book but it is rather hard to understand. What is the level at which to cut?? Above center? below center? at center? and also what shape is the tool supposed to be at its end. I read I should have a 4degree angle but what side gets that angle??
Thanks
Stephen

Robert Gary

NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Sep:
I agree that unless one has training in drafting, the Sherline book is very confusing. I won't be at my shop until late this evening, so I won't be able to consult the book until then. Hopefully some one with greater lathe experience will chime in here before I am able to get to my books.

RobertG

M

mrb

the tip or cutting edge of the cutting tool must be centered on the stock to be cut.you center it on the end of the stock to be cut. a very light face cut will tell you if you are on center. if a little tit is left on the stock you are not centered. if the stock moves while facing you are forcing the cutting in an off center position. a cheap dial indicator from someplace like harbor freight might be of assistance to you. chatter is usually caused by off center cutting.
most people new to the work try to cut too fast, bad move, it dulls the cutter leaves a sloppy cutting surface, etc.

Roger Huegel

Aug 24, 2000
Forty-five degrees is way too much. The tip of the tool should have a 5 degree angle away from the finished part and 7-10 degrees from top to bottom. The tool needs to be on center and the speed should be slower than your normal turning rate. You can see the complete instructions for using the tool on Sherline's website at: http://www.sherline.com/3002inst.htm

Robert Gary

NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
sep:
Did the instructions on Sherline's web link resolve your issues?

RobertG

S

sep

Robert et al
I have read all the Sherline info on the parting tool. It hasn't helped. Its just one of those things. Ya know what I mean. I had it working perfectly even after my sharpening but NOW it doesn't want to work....
So I guess I am in the right ballpark just not hitting the correct way. Like everything in clock-making, Murphys Law prevails!
Thanks for the help!
Stephen

S

sep

Well I figured it out. I was not putting the 5 degree angle on the correct side of the parting tool. Now this may be wrong in regards to the Sherline book but I put a 5 degree angle on the short end that hits the work piece. The angle slants toward the right. This is so that one side of the front of the tool cuts into the work before the rest. I suppose my making that end flat was the culprit to the stoppage. Now it works great. Thanks for the help
Stephen Phillips

Greg Crockett

Apr 13, 2001
The best parting tool is often a hack saw. Groov the work with a lathe tool as a guide for your hack saw. Then stroke your hand held saw as the lathe revolves the work. Low tech, but fast.

For small work I use a small fine-bladed saw, such as those used in jewelry making.

Best regards,
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent